2005/06 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
PHYS1060 Physics Laboratory 1
10 creditsClass Size: 96
Module manager: Dr C H Marrows
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2005/06
Pre-requisite qualificationsA-Level Physics or equivalent
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesOn completion of this module students should be able to:
- achieve an adequate level of competence in weekly practical work;
- demonstrate the ability to use simple laboratory apparatus as tested in the practical exam;
- be familiar with statistical methods of error analysis and to critically analyse data;
- communicate experimental results in the form of written exercises, oral discussions and a formal report.
Practical Lab Skills
Scientific WritingPractical Lab Skills
Students will receive one 4-hour training session on the use of computers for data analysis. The first laboratory session starts with a lecture on uncertainties followed by an introductory session in the lab. The remaining sessions will consist of a variety of experiments drawn from: Mechanics, Atomic Physics, Optics, Thermal Physics and Electromagnetism.
Due to COVID-19, teaching and assessment activities are being kept under review - see module enrolment pages for informationDemonstrated experiments, training exercises, discussion during assignment and self-guided exercises and lectures: 44 hours.
Private studyPrivate study: 56 hours.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackExperiments assessed weekly for weeks 3-10.
Methods of assessment
Due to COVID-19, teaching and assessment activities are being kept under review - see module enrolment pages for informationContinuous assessment of performance on weekly experiments, data analysis and reporting. At the end of the module, students will be additionally assessed on their "acquisition of skills" including error analysis and statistical methods.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 19/04/2005
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD