2005/06 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
PHYS1110 Physics Laboratory 2
10 creditsClass Size: 96
Module manager: Dr C H Marrows
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2005/06
Pre-requisitesPHYS1060 Physics Laboratory 1
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesOn completion of this module students should be able to:
- achieve an adequate level of competence in weekly practical work;
- demonstrate the ability to use simple laboratory apparatus as tested in the practical exam;
- be familiar with statistical methods of error analysis and to critically analyse data;
- communicate experimental results in the form of written exercises, oral discussions and a formal report.
Practical Laboratory skills; Scientific writingPractical Laboratory skills; Scientific writing
Students will receive three 1-hour lectures on statistical methods followed by practical exercises in the lab. The remaining sessions will consist of a variety of experiments drawn from: Mechanics, Atomic Physics, Optics, Thermal Physics and Electromagnetism.
Due to COVID-19, teaching and assessment activities are being kept under review - see module enrolment pages for informationDemonstrated experiments, training exercises, discussion during assessment and self-guided exercises and lectures: 44 hours.
Private studyPrivate study: 56 hours.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackExperiments assessed weekly for weeks 3 - 10 and usual appraisals.
Methods of assessment
Due to COVID-19, teaching and assessment activities are being kept under review - see module enrolment pages for informationContinuous assessment of performance on weekly experiments, data analysis and reporting. Exercises in report writing leading up to a formal report occur throughout the module. At the end of the module, students will be additionally assessed in a practical exam designed to test their "acquisition of skills". Students are also required to submit a formal report at the end of term.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 19/04/2005
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD