2005/06 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
PHYS1190 A-level Mathematics Consolidation
5 creditsClass Size: 100
Module manager: Professor M D Savage
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2005/06
Pre-requisite qualificationsA-Level Mathematics or equivalent.
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesOn completion of this module students will be able to:
- perform standard algebraic manipulations; expanding brackets, factorising and solving quadratics, simplifying expressions, rearranging equations, manipulating indices;
- differentiate standard functions; use the product, quotient and chain rules;
- integrate functions by inspection and by parts;
- integrate functions by substitution including the use of trigonometric substitutions.
Basic mathematical skills in algebra and calculusBasic mathematical skills in algebra and calculus
- Algebra: expanding brackets and simplifying expressions. Difference of two squares, factorising and solving quadratic equations; manipulating indices
- Differentiation; limit definition of a derivative; differentiation of standard functions; product,quotient and chain rules.
- Integration: definite and indefinite integrals; integration by inspection, parts and substitution.
Due to COVID-19, teaching and assessment activities are being kept under review - see module enrolment pages for informationLectures: 11 x 1 hour;
Exercise classes: 5 x 1 hour.
Private studyReading: 11 hours;
Examples: 23 hours.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback3 assignments.
Methods of assessment
Due to COVID-19, teaching and assessment activities are being kept under review - see module enrolment pages for informationA written examination (75 mins): 100%.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 01/08/2007
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD