Module and Programme Catalogue

Search site

Find information on

2005/06 Undergraduate Module Catalogue

PHYS2180 Physics in Review 1

10 creditsClass Size: 100

Module manager: Dr A M Voice
Email: a.m.voice@leeds.ac.uk

Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable

Year running 2005/06

Pre-requisite qualifications

Completion of Level 1 core physics or equivalents

This module is approved as an Elective

Objectives

The aims of this module are:
- to reinforce students' knowledge of core material from level 1; and
- to develop students' ability to solve problems in physics.

Skills outcomes
Analytical problem solving.Analytical problem solving.


Syllabus

The course booklet consists of a description of a systematic approach to problem solving and selection of problems grouped by topic. The general level and coverage of the problems in the booklet is consistent with the recommended book below. Students are required to work through the set problems both in exercise classes and in their own time. The students will receive assistance in their development as problem solvers during the exercise classes. They will be expected to produce their own list of useful formulae for use during continuous assessment tests and the final exam. 40% of the final exam will consist of questions taken from the course booklet with the remaining 60% consisting of previously unseen questions.

Teaching methods

Due to COVID-19, teaching and assessment activities are being kept under review - see module enrolment pages for information

Demonstrated exercise classes: 10 x 1 hour.

Private study

Private study working through problems: 90 hours.

Opportunities for Formative Feedback

3 mini-tests.

Methods of assessment

Due to COVID-19, teaching and assessment activities are being kept under review - see module enrolment pages for information

1 x 2 hour written examination at the end of the semester: 70% (formula sheet allowed);
Continuous assessment (3 mini tests): 30% (formula sheet allowed).

Reading list

The reading list is available from the Library website

Last updated: 19/04/2005

Disclaimer

Browse Other Catalogues

Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD

© Copyright Leeds 2019