2005/06 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
PHYS3280 Star and Planet Formation
10 creditsClass Size: 123
Module manager: Dr R D Oudmaijer
Taught: Semester 1 (Sep to Jan) View Timetable
Year running 2005/06
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesBy the end of this module students should be able to:
- describe the sites of star formation;
- explain the physical processes occurring during the collapse of a gas cloud to form a star;
- recognise and describe the observational evidence for disks, jets and outflows from young stars;
- elucidate the routes to planet formation from circumstellar disks;
- appraise the limits of current knowledge in this field.
The ability to solve physical problems using mathematics.The ability to solve physical problems using mathematics.
SITES OF STAR FORMATION: The cool interstellar medium (ISM), typical gas cloud parameters, heating and cooling processes, interstellar dust.
GRAVITATIONAL COLLAPSE: Gravitational collapse of a cloud, fragmentation, cloud support.
DISK FORMATION: The effects of rotation and magnetic fields, accretion disks, observations of disks.
OUTFLOWS: Bipolar outflows from young stars, jets and Herbig-Haro objects. Wind driving and collimation mechanisms.
STAR FORMING REGIONS: IR emission and evolution.
PLANET FORMATION: Formation of planetesimals, extra-solar planets.
Due to COVID-19, teaching and assessment activities are being kept under review - see module enrolment pages for informationLectures: 20 x 1 hour;
Discussion classes: 2 x 1 hour.
Private studyReading: 78 hours.
Methods of assessment
Due to COVID-19, teaching and assessment activities are being kept under review - see module enrolment pages for information1 x 2 hour written exam at the end of the semester: 100%.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 19/02/2007
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD