2005/06 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
PHYS3460 Advanced Mathematical Methods
10 creditsClass Size: 40
Module manager: Professor G J Morgan
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2005/06
Pre-requisitesPHYS1150, 1160, 2160, 2170 or equivalents
This module is approved as an Elective
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to:
- use the Cauchy-Riemann conductions to discuss the analytic properties of functions of a complex variable;
- derive Cauchy's integral theorems and use them to evaluate various types of integral important in physics;
- define the principle value of an integral and derive Kramers-Kronig type of relations in suitable circumstances such as the damped forced simple harmonic oscillator;
- calculate the Euler-Lagrange equations for simple functionals and solve them for various physical applications.
The ability to make use of useful mathematics which arises in many different disciplines.The ability to make use of useful mathematics which arises in many different disciplines.
Functions of a complex variable. The Cauchy-Riemann conditions, Cauchy's integral theorems and Kramers-Kronig relations. The Euler-Lagrange equations and applications to physics.
Due to COVID-19, teaching and assessment activities are being kept under review - see module enrolment pages for informationLectures: 22 x 1 hour.
Private studyHomework: 18 hours;
Revision: 30 hours;
Reading: 30 hours.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback3 assignments over 1 semester.
Methods of assessment
Due to COVID-19, teaching and assessment activities are being kept under review - see module enrolment pages for information1 x 2 hour written examination at the end of the semester: 85%;
3 marked exercises: 15%.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 19/04/2005
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD