2006/07 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
SLAV1022 Practical Russian Language Skills
10 creditsClass Size: 12
Taught: Semester 2 View Timetable
Year running 2006/07
Pre-requisitesAttendance at SLAV 1021
Co-requisitesFor Single Honours: SLAV 1024
This module is mutually exclusive withSLAV 1020 Beginning Russian II
Module replacesSLAV 1011 Russian Language A: Listening and Reading.
This module is approved as an Elective
Module summaryThis module builds on the skills developed in SLAV1021. Details as for SLAV1021
ObjectivesThis module is intended for students who are studying Russian on Programme A (ie having already obtained A2, AS grade A or equivalent in Russian). The module builds on skills developed in module SLAV1021. It is designed to train participants in all aspects of practical language skills, and aims to prepare students for their period of study in Russia by focusing on authentic written and audio-visual material in a variety of registers and styles.
On completion of the module students will be able to:
- understand conversation on everyday topics and handle conversational subjects adequately;
- read authentic but abridged texts on a variety of non-specialist subjects;
- have a thorough knowledge of the essentials of Russian grammar and use them accurately both in speaking and writing.
The module is based on sections of the audio-visual course V Moskvu? V Moskvu! plus reading and translation texts provided by the Department.
Skills to be developed include:
- listening, answering questions in Russian and English, role-play, discussion (1 hour oral and audio-visual work);
- translation R-E and E-R, reading, comprehension (1 hour);
- grammar (1 hour).
Practical classes: 33 x 1 hour
Methods of assessment
1 listening comprehension exam: 1 hour 30%
1 written exam: 2 hours 40%
1 oral exam 15 minutes 30%
all at end of semester.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 08/03/2007
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD