2006/07 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
SLAV2021 Practical Russian Language Skills 2
10 creditsClass Size: 20
Module manager: Dr Sarah Hudspith
Taught: Semester 1 View Timetable
Year running 2006/07
Pre-requisitesSuccessful completion of SLAV9001/4 Residence Abroad in Russia or equivalent
This module is not approved as an Elective
Module summaryThis module is primarily for students having spent a year abroad in Russia. If you wish to enrol, please contact the Department of Russian (firstname.lastname@example.org) for your level to be assessed.
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to:
- achieve effective communication in Russian with native or other competent speakers;
- demonstrate that they have consolidated and extended knowledge and understanding of complex structures of Russian;
- demonstrate complex receptive and productive language skills in a variety of contexts;
- identify a variety of registers of Russian and show awareness of these in reading, writing and speaking.
All classes will be linked by a topic theme, with a new topic set every three to four weeks.
The topics will coincide with those used on SLAV2023.
There will be four contact hours per week, as follows:
- hour audio-visual. Activities include use of video or audio material in Russian, oral work, and short written exercises in Russian or English.
- how working with Russian texts (in a variety of registers), Russian-English translation, shorter written work in Russian.
- hour grammar.
- hour oral and writing: includes essay writing in Russian, oral discussion of topic.
Practical classes: 11 x 4 hours
Private studyReading set and additional texts;
using language centre;
regular written tasks;
preparation of audio-visual work;
preparation for oral classes.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackWeekly tasks: reading material; regular written language work; preparation of audio-visual work; preparation for oral classes; regular grammar tests.
Methods of assessment
1 x 2 hour written exam, January exam period (20%);
1 assessed essay, due end week 11 (20%);
1 audio-visual assessment, week 10 (15%);
1 oral exam, Janaury exam period (20%);
1 Year Abroad project, due end week 3 (15%);
1 oral presentation on Year Abroad project topic, weeks 4-6 (10%).
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 15/01/2008
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD