2006/07 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
SLAV2024 Developing Russian Language 2.1
10 creditsClass Size: 20
Module manager: Mrs Anya Evans
Taught: Semester 2 View Timetable
Year running 2006/07
Pre-requisitesSuccessful completion of SLAV2023
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an acquaintance with extracts from Russian literary texts by authors from the 19th and 20th centuries;
- demonstrate that they have consolidated and extended their vocabulary in Russian;
- demonstrate increasingly complex receptive and productive language skills in a variety of contexts;
- identify a variety of registers of literary Russian and show understanding of these in reading and writing.
All classes will be linked by a topic theme, with a new theme set every three to four weeks. A literary text, such as a chapter from a novel or short story, abridged where necessary, will be chosen for each topic. The topics will coincide with those used on SLAV2022.
There will be two contact hours per week, as follows:
1 hour literary texts: activities to include reading, precis writing in Russian and oral work in Russian.
1 hour English-Russian prose translation on topics related to literary texts.
Practical classes: 11 x 2 hours
Private studyReading set and additional texts;
using language centre;
regular written tasks;
preparation of oral work.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackWeekly tasks: reading material. Regular practice precis and prose translations.
Methods of assessment
1 assessed precis, due end week 9 (30%);
1 oral assessment, week 10 (30%);
1 assessed English-Russian prose translation, due end week 11 (40%)
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 28/03/2007
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD