2012/13 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
TRAN5031M Transport Data Collection and Analysis
15 creditsClass Size: 150
Module manager: Dr Frank Lai
Taught: Semester 1 View Timetable
Year running 2012/13
Pre-requisite qualificationsAdmissions to ITS masteres programmes
This module is not approved as an Elective
Objectives- To ensure that students understand the process of transport survey design, are familiar with the range of survey techniques available and are able to judge which technique would be appropriate in which circumstances.
- To ensure that students understand the principles underlying the statistical analysis of transport data and are equipped to select and interpret appropriate statistical tests.
- To develop students' knowledge of transport data within their own specialism.
Understand transport data collection techniques and sources.
Also see skills.
- Develop data handling, statistical and analytical skills
- Develop data acquisition skills
- Develop data presentation and reporting skills.
- All students will take Statistics (50% of module).
- All students will take Data Collection Overview (16% of module)
- Then students into streams according to their degree scheme (33%)
Statistics: Summary measures; Normal, Binomial and Poisson distributions: confidence intervals: hypothesis testing; contingency tables; linear regression
Data Collection overview:
a. sources of transport data
b. transport data in developing countries
c. inventory and condition data
d. system usage data (demand)
e. speed, delay and congestion data
f. accident data
g. environmental data
h. trip matrix data
i. interviews and questionnaires.
In depth treatment as appropriate to degree scheme, ONE of: Engineering data collection and analysis (c, d, e, h); Environmental data collection and analysis (f, g); Data collection and analysis for Transport Planning and Transport Economics (a, i).
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||121.00|
|Total Contact hours||29.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private study- Background reading
- Problem sets
- Exam revision
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackProgress will be monitored via coursework.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||33.00|
Analysis of data set relevant to degree scheme and report.
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||2 hr||67.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||67.00|
School policy is resit on first anniversary UNLESS a student requires fewer than three resits to be able to graduate.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 04/04/2016
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD