2016/17 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
IDEA5301M Reason, Virtues and Obligation
15 creditsClass Size: 30
Module manager: Dr Joe Saunders
Taught: Semester 1 View Timetable
Year running 2016/17
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesTo introduce central concepts and approaches in ethics and to provide a preliminary understanding of ideas which will continue to be considered and developed in relation to particular problems and issues through the programme.
On completion of this module, students should have an ability to:
- understand some of the central concepts involved in the study of ethics;
- evaluate critically some of the main theoretical approaches to ethics;
- apply this understanding to the development of thoughtful and well presented arguments which reflect their own critical engagement with the material studied.
Topics such as:
Reason and value; practical reasoning; virtues, choice and character; ought and must; obligation, rights and duties.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||134.00|
|Total Contact hours||16.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyDetailed study of required readings plus advance preparation of discussion questions for seminars. Preparation of answers to set coursework assignment questions. Independent reading and research for the preparation of assessments.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback2 x 500 word assignment, 1 x 2000 word essay and 1 x Annotated Bibliography 500 words
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Report||Annotated Bibliography 500 words||10.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 11/04/2017
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD