2016/17 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
SOEE5531M Hazards, Resilience and Sustainable Engineering
15 creditsClass Size: 50
Module manager: Dr Bill Murphy
Taught: Semester 2 View Timetable
Year running 2016/17
Module replacesSOEE5530 Advanced Engineering Geology
This module is not approved as an Elective
Module summaryBy the completion of this module students should be capable of:1. Evaluation key geological hazards affecting any given site;2. Providing, on the basis of an assessment of geological, geophysical and geomorphological processes, advice on increasing the resilience of geotechnical structures over their design life;3. Consider alternative design strategies to improve sustainable use of the ground.
Objectives1. To demonstrate techniques for the evaluation of hazard and risk within a civil engineering environment;
2. To identify, on the basis of fully developed ground models, how geotechnical design can be made more resilient to changing environmental factors.
3. To review the current state of knowledge about sustainable approaches in ground engineering.
Geological hazards; concepts of hazard and risk; landslides and landslide hazard assessment; earthquake engineering and seismic risk; engineering geology of large dams; carbon counting in engineering; earthworks and resilience for climate change; material re-use and reinforced earth; energy security and underground gas storage; engineering geological considerations for sustainable energy; geotechnical security of lifelines; education and training in managing the natural environment.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||97.00|
|Total Contact hours||53.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyPrivate study totalling 95 hours + 2hours in class assessment
- preparing presentations and related group work: 10 hours
- preparation of resilience and sustainability assessment report: 20 hours
- background reading and revision: 65 hours.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackFeedback on:
- presentations related to group work;
- resilience and sustainability assessment report.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Oral Presentation||Verbal Presentation||10.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||20.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||2 hr 00 mins||80.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||80.00|
Examination will be held after the Easter break to allow a longer period of time for the MSc project.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 13/04/2015
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD