2016/17 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
CSER8000 Work Placement Year
120 creditsClass Size: 125
Module manager: Annabelle Cross
Taught: Semesters 1 & 2 View Timetable
Year running 2016/17
Pre-requisite qualificationsStudents must normally pass Level 2 of a degree programme for which this module is an approved placement module.
Students must secure a placement, or placements (maximum 3) amounting to 9 months duration (for placements involving children and vulnerable adults a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure from the CRB will be required.)
Please note: This module is mutually exclusive with the placement module(s) for the subject(s) of your degree programme where your department offers its own placement.
This module is not approved as a discovery module
ObjectivesTo complete an undergraduate level work placement, building experience of, and confidence in, essential work place skills.
On completion of this module students should be able to demonstrate:
- an understanding of a work environment, how it functions and their contribution to it;
- an understanding of how to apply their work-based learning to other areas of personal development, including academic performance, and the ability to do so;
- a high level of transferable skills including communication (written and oral), self motivation, initiative, organisation and time management, objective setting, negotiating and team working;
- an ability to decide, plan and compete in the job market.
High level transferable skills including:
- communication (written and oral)
- self motivation
- organisation and time management
- objective setting
- negotiating and team working
- ability to decide, plan
- and compete in the job market.
- Undertaking work placement(s) and maintaining a monthly summary whilst on placement
- Assessed presentation and interview on completion of placement year.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Independent online learning hours||36.00|
|Private study hours||1,150.00|
|Total Contact hours||14.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||1,200.00|
Private studyPrivate study includes work-related learning at placement, private study/reading and individual research, analysis and writing in preparation of work placement year summary.
Learning & teaching methods
- Students will receive at least 1 work placed visit by a placement tutor
- Consultations will take the form of 12 x 1 hour per month by email/phone/discussion board/vle contact.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackDuring the placement year there will be regular remote contact with a placement tutor and at least one workplace visit by a placement tutor.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Written Work||A 2,000 word written summary of their placement year related to the stated outcomes of the module. The summary will contain contextual information on the host organisation, a description of (and reflection on) the process undertaken to secure the placement, reflective analysis on how the placement developed the understanding of a work environment and their contribution to it, and reflection on the skills developed and demonstrated on the placement and how they relate to personal, career and academic development.||50.00|
|Presentation||Formal presentation 10 mins/structured interview with questions allowing exploration of the skills and knowledge gained during the placement related to the stated outcomes of the module (50 mins)||50.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 10/04/2013
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD