2016/17 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
LEED2009 Teaching and Coaching Young People
10 creditsClass Size: 25
Module manager: Jill Wilkinson
Taught: Semester 2 View Timetable
Year running 2016/17
This module is approved as a discovery module
This module is approved as a skills discovery module
Module summaryAre you thinking of a career in teaching or coaching? Not sure which one is for you? Would you like to know more about each discipline?- This module offers you the opportunity to explore each career and help you to find which is right for you.- This module is designed to enable students to develop their knowledge and understanding of working with children in a Physical Education and Sport environment.- The module will consider the difference in pedagogy between teaching and coaching and how each approach can be applied to get the best out of children aged between 5 -19 years.- The module has been designed to cover both the theoretical and practical application of both disciplines and as such should develop knowledge and understanding from an applied perspective. This applied perspective will underpin the assessment element of the module.
ObjectivesStudents will be able to understand;
- Current education policies and strategies which affect the teaching of PE and coaching of sport;
- The pedagogy of teaching and coaching;
- Lesson and session planning and high quality delivery of Physical Education and Sport;
- How to undertake a critical evaluation of teaching and coaching practice;
- The requirements for meeting the criteria for each route.
On completion of this module, students should;
- Be able to reflect on their experience of observing and/or participating in coaching and teaching;
- Have an understanding of ethical issues within education, sports coaching and physical activity;
- Make judgements and decisions about following a career in either teaching or coaching;
- Have developed and be able to evidence a number of transferable skills, including time management, presentation, oral and written communication, observational, analytical and reflective skills;
- Have an understanding of new and innovative teaching and coaching strategies.
By taking this module students will develop skills in and understanding of;
- Teaching pedagogy
- Coaching pedagogy
- Delivering a PE/Coaching session
- Reflective Practice
- Observational and Analytical skills
- Be introduced to some of the principles behind teaching, planning and observation.
- Be introduced to some of the principles behind the coaching process (planning, delivering and evaluating) and observation.
- Complete an Activity Record, documenting progress throughout the module.
- Be checked against the DBS.
- Plan and deliver a PESS festival to primary school aged children.
- Undertake an evaluation of effectiveness of delivery observed and delivered.
- Attend a Safeguarding and Protecting Children course.
- Attend individual tutorials to monitor and discuss progress.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||77.50|
|Total Contact hours||22.50|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private studyPreparation and evaluation of sessions observed/delivered 22 hrs
Preparation for tutorial/activity record completion 7.5 hrs
Planning & research for practical festival 20 hrs
Analysis and reflection for written assessment 16 hrs
Independent Research 12 hrs
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackThroughout both lectures and seminars the session lead will plan activities and challenges that present formative feedback opportunities. These will include strategies such as;
- Practical session with peer and teacher feedback
- Conditioned situations aimed at testing knowledge
- One to one discussions in tutorials
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Reflective log||4,000 words||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 18/01/2017
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD