2017/18 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
HECS5189M Becoming a Reflective Practitioner 2b
15 creditsClass Size: 12
If you are applying for a stand-alone Masters level module please note you must meet either the general University entry criteria or the specific module pre-requisite for this level of study.
Module manager: Gillian Proctor
Taught: Semester 2 View Timetable
Year running 2017/18
Pre-requisite qualificationsEntry to PG Dip / MA Psychotherapeutic Counselling
|HECS5187M||Becoming a Reflective Practitioner 2a|
This module is mutually exclusive with
|HECS3157||Counselling Skills Development (2)|
|HECS3158||Personal Awareness Development (2)|
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesTo continue development of psychotherapeutic counselling skills towards qualified practitioner status.
- Demonstrate a minimum professional competence in counselling practice.
- Professionally manage a range of client material.
- Critically reflect on, and respond to, complex verbal and non-verbal client behaviour.
- Engage appropriately in clinical supervision.
- Synthesise integration of practice and self-awareness within a therapeutic framework.
- Analyse and critically evaluate clinical casework.
Students will be expected to demonstrate critical processing of psychotherapeutic counselling relationships from practice and within supervision, and a continuing critical reflexivity of self awareness.
- Creative approaches to clinical practice
- Developing skills of 'reverie' and reflection
- Evaluating clinical outcomes in supervision
- Gender, sex & sexuality in the therapeutic relationship
- Group learning and personal awareness development
- Group and individual external supervision of clinical practice
- Further personal therapy, supervision & advanced skills practice towards a 'transcript of clinical experience'.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||100.00|
|Total Contact hours||50.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
- Keeping learning journal
- Assignment preparation
- Reviewing audio recordings of psychotherapy/counselling sessions
- Maintaining psychotherapy/counselling and supervision logs
- Reviewing and reflecting on clinical practice
- Clinical and personal therapy
- Clinical practice (60 hours approx - verification of 100 hours across programme)
- External individual supervision (10 hours approx - verification of minimum 18 hours external supervision across programme)
- Personal Therapy (20 hours approx - verification of 70 hours personal therapy across programme) - not included in private study hours.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- Participation in seminars, exercises and discussion.
- Presentation of taped material, minimum 2 tapes per student, with tutor and peer feedback and within group supervision.
- Group supervision.
- Individual supervision.
- Peer review of learning journal.
- Participation in group process.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Essay or Dissertation||Clinical narrative of contextualised audio-recorded psychotherapy/counselling session (2,500 words)||100.00|
|Practical||20 minute audio recording of session with client (Pass/Fail)||0.00|
|Portfolio||To include: psychotherapy/counselling log showing minimum 100 hours practice; supervision log showing minimum 18 hours; external supervisor's report, confirming min. 25 hours; practice provider feedback form, confirming min. 100 practice hours; therapist's form in confirmation of min. 70 hours personal therapy. (Pass/Fail).||0.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
There is no compensation between these assignments, all elements must be passed. Material included in the portfolio will be accumulated throughout the student's practice (logs and practice provider feedback) or be supplied by the external supervisor (report) and personal therapist (confirmation) so does not constitute additional assignment load.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 14/09/2016
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD