2017/18 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
IDEA5402M Dissertation (MRes)
150 creditsClass Size: 10
Module manager: Professor C Megone
Taught: Semesters 1 & 2 View Timetable
Year running 2017/18
This module is not approved as an Elective
Module summarySupervised development of an independent and critical piece of work on a selected topic within the field of medical ethics.
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to produce an independent piece of work analysing in detail an aspect of medical ethics. The work should enable students to exhibit both some awareness of detail of theoretical ethical considerations and to indicate their application to issues in medical ethics, where relevant making use of experience in the context of professional life in medicine and healthcare.
On completion of this module students should have an ability to:
• Understand the critical issues bearing on an aspect of medical ethics in significant depth;
• Evaluate critically and in detail some of the main theoretical approaches to a particular issue in medical ethics;
• Apply this understanding to the thoughtful development of a significant line of argument regarding an issue in medical ethics, which reflects their own critical engagement with the material studied.
To be developed in consultation with personal supervisor.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Independent online learning hours||1,485.00|
|Private study hours||0.00|
|Total Contact hours||15.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||1,500.00|
Private studyUp to 800 hours gathering and reading resources, note-taking and thinking
Up to 700 hours drafting and redrafting for dissertation
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Essay or Dissertation||Dissertation 20,000 words||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Students will be supervised by a tutor and required to submit draft portions of their project, and submit their project at the end of the academic year.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 15/05/2017
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD