2017/18 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
LUBS5225M Strategic Management
15 creditsClass Size: 250
Module manager: Joana Pereira
Taught: Semester 2 View Timetable
Year running 2017/18
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesStrategic Management is a topic of utmost importance for future leaders of companies that compete in rapidly changing business environments. Uncertainties of globalisation, new business models, disruptive technologies and changes in societal aspirations challenge competitive positions and managerial decision-making. This module introduces topics that equip students to make strategic judgement under uncertainty by relaying on rigorous analytical models and in-depth understanding of strategy processes and practice.
Upon completion of this module students will be able to critically evaluate:
- the role of the entire organisation and the nature of strategic problems
- strategic management concepts, theories and research
- countervailing views and perspectives within the subject
Upon completion of this module students will be able to:
- present analytical reasoning and influence decision making skills
- produce analysis of strategic management conceptual issues and problems in complex organisations and suggest alternative courses of action
- The nature of strategic management, of strategy, the strategy process and the strategic context.
- Assessment of organisational aims, environment, resources and capabilities.
- Strategy formulation and explanations of successful strategies, incorporating assessment of corporate and business strategies, explanations of competitive advantage
- Strategy implementation in terms of structure, leadership, politics and culture
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||118.00|
|Total Contact hours||32.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyReadings and case studies on an ongoing weekly basis.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- Weekly classes provide an opportunity for self evaluation of progress and discussion with the tutor.
- An opportunity for a practice essay will be provided.
Methods of assessment
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||3 hr 00 mins||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||100.00|
The resit for this module will be 100% by examination
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 24/01/2018
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD