This module is not currently running in the selected year. The information shown below is for the academic year that the module was last running in, prior to the year selected.
2011/12 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
HECS3158 Personal Awareness Development (2)
20 creditsClass Size: 25
Module manager: Jane Mackaskie
Taught: 1 Sept to 30 Jun View Timetable
Year running 2011/12
|ADUL2144||Theory and Concepts of Counselling|
|ADUL2145||Personality Development and Concepts of Self|
|ADUL2146||Counselling Skills Development (1)|
|ADUL2147||Personal Awareness Development (1)|
Module replacesADUL3750 Ethical and Professional Issues in CounsellingandADUL3770 Supervised Practice and Personal Development 2
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Actively engage in experiential and theoretical awareness of the dynamic processes of the group interactions.
- Demonstrate reflexive management of their personal material made conscious in the group environment.
- Engage effectively in enabling and receiving in-depth feedback within personal development groups.
- Identify appropriate responses to personal issues arising from client work.
- Reflect upon and critically analyse aspects of self and others that enhance and hinder their personal development (including personal therapy experience).
- Reflexively consider the impact of personal changes identified, enabled and processed in their own therapy.
- Recognise the significance of the above in their own counselling practice.
Students will engage in systematic structured self-awareness activities that will entail the furthering of shared personal disclosures in the group context. Through observation of their own and others' expressions of feelings and awareness of the group environment, and open and shared verbal reflection on the group experience, they will engage with, and on occasion challenge, the group dynamics.
A personal learning journal on perceptions of self and others' experiences within the group and the impact upon personal development inside and outside of the group environment will continue to be maintained. There will be the opportunity to share the journal process with a colleague - a paired intimacy furthering the learning experience. The group experience will be evaluated by peer- and tutor-assessment.
Students will complete their ongoing personal therapy to a minimum of 40 hours over the 2-year duration of the programme, sharing reflections on the process within the group.
On successful completion of this module students will have a shared awareness of others' clinical work and be open to the significance of self-development in the context of their own counselling practice.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||151.00|
|Total Contact hours||49.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||200.00|
Private study- Recording personal notes, impressions, reactions and reflections: 91 hours
- Reading: 30 hours
- Assignment: 30 hours.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- Formative Personal Learning Statement (after 10 weeks - 1,500 words approx)
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Presentation||10 minute presentation of personal learning (pass/fail)||0.00|
|Personal Statement||Personal learning statement - drawing on peer group and tutor feedback (2500 words)||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 22/08/2012
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD