2017/18 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
HECS5187M Becoming a Reflective Practitioner 2a
15 creditsClass Size: 18
If you are applying for a stand-alone Masters level module please note you must meet either the general University entry criteria or the specific module pre-requisite for this level of study.
Module manager: Netalie Shloim
Taught: Semester 1 View Timetable
Year running 2017/18
|HECS5185M||Becoming a Reflective Practitioner 1b|
This module is mutually exclusive with
|HECS3157||Counselling Skills Development (2)|
|HECS3158||Personal Awareness Development (2)|
This module is not approved as an Elective
Module summaryThis module will build on trainee clinical experience accumulated to date on the use of self and the application of theoretical knowledge in the therapeutic relationship. Experiential activities and group and individual supervision will enhance and continue to develop reflexive awareness in professional counselling practice. Personal awareness development will be facilitated by group learning.
ObjectivesTo develop self awareness and critical insights into personal issues, the group intersubjective experience and psychotherapeutic counselling interactions.
- Demonstrate advanced intersubjective aspects of the therapeutic relationship
- Demonstrate advanced critical reflection on group events in the personal development group
- Demonstrate advanced critical reflection upon and analyse personal development (including personal therapy experience).
Students will be expected to demonstrate critical reflexivity in personal awareness development and gain insights into group supervision of psychotherapeutic counselling.
- Advanced counselling skills development & audit
- Peer review of learning journal
- Applications of intersubjective theory
- Metaphor and embodied emotions
- Presenting more complex problems: trauma, self harm, eating difficulties
- Group learning for personal awareness development
- Personal therapy
- Clinical practice
- Group and individual external clinical supervision
- Reflections on taped clinical material.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||100.00|
|Total Contact hours||89.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||189.00|
Private studyNumber of Theory hrs: 150
Keeping a reflective learning journal
Maintaining counselling and supervision logs
Reviewing tapes of counselling skills practice sessions and reflecting on clinical practice
Practice and personal therapy
Clinical practice (30 hours approx)
Individual external supervision (9 hrs approx)
Personal therapy (ongoing, 25 hours approx) : not included in private study hours
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- Peer review of Learning Journal
- Formative verbal statement of Personal Awareness
- Students are expected to bring a minimum of 2 tapes of client sessions, with tutor and peer feedback within group supervision
- Contributions to seminars and group learning.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Essay||3,000 words - Reflective essay on current development as a reflective practitioner (using 10min. tape extract example of practice & reflections as an appendix)||100.00|
|Practical||External Supervisor's Interim Report (Pass/Fail) There is no compensation between these assignments, all elements must be passed.||0.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
There is no compensation between these assignments, all elements must be passed.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 10/08/2016
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD