2018/19 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
EDUC5306M The Practice of Supporting Language Teacher Learning
15 creditsClass Size: 60
Module manager: Dr Lou Harvey
Taught: 1 Mar to 31 May View Timetable
Year running 2018/19
Pre-requisite qualificationsTwo years' language teaching experience.
|EDUC5925M||Teacher Education for TESOL|
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to:
- appraise critically current literature on the pedagogy of supported teacher learning;
- evaluate interventions and materials in teacher education informed by key concepts in the field;
- discuss the implications for pedagogical decisions and trainer skills development of various types of interventions designed to promote teacher learning;
- design an intervention appropriate for their context.
This module focuses specifically on those strategies in teacher education which can be used to support teacher's learning. We will analyse various ways of designing as well as implementing sessions, courses or programmes for teachers. To do this, we will draw on some key concepts in teacher education (for example, socio-cultural, expertise, or skill learning models of practitioner learning). We will also consider mentoring specifically and review recent literature on this.
The module aims to prepare you to make informed decisions for future work with teachers and raise awareness of some of the additional skills and knowledge needed by teachers becoming teacher educators.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||137.00|
|Total Contact hours||13.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private study12 hours group inter-session tasks (2 hours per week)
22 (+/-) hours designing interventions
97 (+/-) hours reading and writing essay
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackFormative session-by-session assessment, using session reaction slips, design task outcomes, session contributions and tutorials.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 04/09/2019
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD