2018/19 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
GERM2030 German Core Language 2
20 creditsClass Size: 40
Module manager: Judith Eberharter
Taught: Semesters 1 & 2 View Timetable
Year running 2018/19
|GERM1030||German Core Language 1|
This module is mutually exclusive with
|GERM2031||German Core Language 2|
This module is approved as a discovery module
Module summaryThis is the core compulsory module for all Level Two students on BA German and BA Joint Honours programmes with German, but it may also be taken as an Discovery module by students who have completed Core Language 1 (GERM1030) or are at an equivalent level of proficiency. Building on the skills attained at the end of Level 1, students will develop the knowledge and skills required for successful oral and written communication in a variety of registers and contexts including daily life in Germany and Austria but also prepare for the sort of paperwork and everyday cultural challenges which they could expect to face in a German-speaking environment. There are three contact hours per week: one 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour tutorial.
Objectives- Provide the students with the linguistic and inter/cultural knowledge and skills necessary to communicate effectively in German.
- Develop students' ability to reflect on their own learning and to choose and complete autonomously language learning activities.
- Knowledge and understanding of German grammar
- Knowledge and understanding of problems of intercultural communication
- Knowledge of cultural context of German-speaking countries.
- Reading, listening, writing, speaking German
- Intercultural awareness and skills.
Module handbook and materials provided. Materials and exercises are chosen with a view to preparing students for the linguistic and cultural requirements of interaction with native speakers of German including advanced grammar topics and an introduction to intercultural communication.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||140.00|
|Total Contact hours||60.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||200.00|
Private study- Regular homework
- Completion of portfolio of independent language learning tasks.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- Regular homework with in-class group feedback
- Formative feedback on submission of parts of portfolio
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Portfolio||The portfolio is developed in 3 parts over the course of the academic year.||70.00|
|Oral Presentation||Oral Presentation||30.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Portfolio tests the different skills practiced and developed in the course of the module and will be completed at regular intervals throughout the year. After submission of each element the students will receive individual feedback on their performance so far. Timing and nature of task specified in the module handbook at the start of the year.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 13/11/2018 09:25:32
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD