2018/19 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
IDEA3313 Ethical Issues at the End of Life
15 creditsClass Size: 30
Module manager: Dr Carl Fox
Taught: Semester 1 View Timetable
Year running 2018/19
Module replacesIDEA3303 Abortion, Euthanasia, Life and Death
This module is not approved as a discovery module
ObjectivesThe module aims to provide philosophical basis for critically examining the moral issues at the end of life, considering background theory as well as more specific issues, such as:
- Theory: examining the morality of killing and the value of human life; quality of life; the implications of consequentialism as applied to the morality of killing – the difference between killing and letting die, and alternatives to consequentialism; slippery slopes.
- Applied: Palliative care; suicide; active and passive euthanasia; withdrawing treatment.
On completion of this module, students should:
- Be familiar with a number of key philosophical texts relating to end of life decisions.
- Understand the difference between withdrawing treatment and euthanasia, and the difference between active and passive euthanasia.
Will include topics such as:
- The wrongness of killing
- Consequentialism and non-consequentialism
- Suicide and assisted suicide
- Palliative care
- Quality of life and best interests
- Withdrawing treatment
- Active and passive euthanasia
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||134.00|
|Total Contact hours||16.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyDetailed study of required readings plus advance preparation of discussion questions for seminars. Preparation of answers to set coursework assignment questions. Independent reading and research for the preparation of assessed essay(s).
Opportunities for Formative Feedback1 x 3000 word essay
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 12/12/2018 16:33:09
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD