2018/19 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
LUBS5058M Corporate Governance
15 creditsClass Size: 200
Module manager: Dr. Helen Short
Taught: Semester 2 View Timetable
Year running 2018/19
Module replacesLUBS 5034M Governance & Regulation
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesOn completion of this module students will be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the:
- theory, regulation and practice relating to corporate governance;
- relationship between governance and ownership.
- role and impact of institutional shareholders.
- role of the board of directors, directors remuneration and corporate behaviour
- role of accounting and auditing and the market for corporate control
- effect of governance on the financial structure and dividend decision
- relationship between governance, accountability and enterprise.
1. Introduction to corporate governance: theory, regulation and practice
The purpose and role of corporate governance; the regulation of governance; companies' behaviour with respect to governance codes.
2. Governance and ownership
The relationship between the ownership structure of the entity, governance and performance.
3. Governance and institutional shareholders
The theoretical, legal and practical relationship between institutional shareholders and the companies in which they invest.
4. Governance and the board of directors
The composition and role of the board of directors and the effect of the board on corporate behaviour.
5. Governance and directors' remuneration
The composition and regulation of directors' remuneration; the effect of remuneration on directors' and corporate behaviour.
6 Governance and takeovers
The role of takeovers in the governance of companies.
7 Governance, financial structure and dividend policy
The effect of governance structures on the financial structure and dividend policy of the company, and vice versa.
8. Governance and accounting and auditing
The role of accounting and auditing on the governance of companies.
9. Governance, accountability and enterprise
The potential trade-off between accountability and enterprise.
All session topics will cover the theoretical, legal and practical implications of corporate governance and regulation.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||120.00|
|Total Contact hours||30.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private study60 hours reading for lectures
40 hours preparation for classes
20 hours examination revision
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackProgress will be monitored by contributions made to classes and formative feedback will be given on class work handed in and on unassessed essays.
Methods of assessment
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||2 hr 00 mins||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||100.00|
The resit for this module will be 100% by 2 hours examination.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 12/12/2018 10:48:53
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD