2018/19 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
TRAN5925M Transport Dissertation Part Time
60 creditsClass Size: 100
Module manager: Eleonora Morganti
Taught: 1 Sep to 31 Aug View Timetable
Year running 2018/19
This module is mutually exclusive with
Module replacesTRAN5911M for Part Time Students
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to ...
To develop and apply research and/or design skills in a specialist topic within the transport discipline.
- For research topics these skills will include: review of relevant literature, identification of key issues, development of an experimental method, assembly and analysis of relevant data, logical discussion and conclusions of relevance to practical application.
- For design topics these skills will include: identification of key issues, development of candidate solutions, and assessment of these solutions with relevance to the overarching objectives of transport policy.
- For both types of topic, emphasis will be placed on the development of skills in the effective communication of ideas and concepts in writing and verbally.
Students will be required to undertake a dissertation cognate to their degree programme.
In-depth knowledge of the subject area chosen for the study, to cover the context of the study, previous literature in the field (including previous research), and knowledge of relevant methodologies.
- Selection of topic: either from a list provided or by self-suggestion in consultation with staff
- Work is largely self-directed under supervision from a member of staff
- Submission of Interim Report, for formative feedback
- Preparation and presentation of poster
- Oral examination of progress
- Completion, submission and examination of Final Report of about 15,000 words.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Class tests, exams and assessment||1||0.50||0.50|
|Class tests, exams and assessment||1||1.50||1.50|
|Private study hours||591.00|
|Total Contact hours||9.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||600.00|
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackStudents will be required to submit a 1,000 word interim report approx. half way through their dissertation, in order to receive formative feedback.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Essay or Dissertation||15,000 Word Dissertation (inc. 1000 word interim report)||80.00|
|Poster Presentation||Poster Presentation||10.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
The deadlines of each assessment component will be decided on an individual basis with the supervisor, to fit the flexible nature of part time study.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 30/04/2018
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD