2019/20 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
BIOL5390M Bioscience MSc Research Project
60 creditsClass Size: 5
Module manager: Dr Emanuele Paci
Taught: Semesters 1 & 2 View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesA 60-credit research project carried out across semesters 1 and 2.
On completion of this module, you should have:
- completed an introductory literature search and produced a short project proposal;
- completed a laboratory research project in an area of science appropriate to your chosen course options;
- gained experience in experimental planning, execution and analysis including presentation of scientific data using appropriate computer programs;
- prepared and submitted a dissertation (up to 10,000 words) in a scientifically acceptable format. This dissertation should include an appropriate summary of relevant literature, an outline of aims of the project, descriptions of the methods used, details of the results obtained, conclusions drawn from these results and indications for future studies that might be undertaken;
- developed skills in the appropriate and selective use of library resources, including computer based search tools including databases such as Web of Science, Medline and the Internet.
The module provides students with the opportunity to enhance their professional skills in the Biosciences through individual research projects.
It exposes them to the methodology and philosophy of scientific research, it provides experience of working in a research group and interacting with research scientists, it gives them the opportunity to develop their library skills, in-depth literature searching and analysis of the scientific literature, it provides experience of analysis and presentation of scientific data and it gives the opportunity for thesis preparation and scientific writing.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||597.00|
|Total Contact hours||3.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||600.00|
Private study- Private Study Time which includes reading and preparation of short project proposal and dissertation: 177 hours;
- Research work: 420 hours.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- Regular contact with supervisor
- Formal weekly meetings with supervisor
- Oral presentation.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|In-course Assessment||execution of practical work (assessed by supervisor)||20.00|
|Project||Short Project Proposal||10.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 02/07/2019
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD