2019/20 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
BLGY3205 Applied Plant Science
10 creditsClass Size: 68
Module manager: Professor Peter Urwin
Taught: Semester 2 View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Module summaryThe module fits within a series of modules in previous years that have a more strategic scientific focus ie science that has a utility. As such this module is practical based and not lecture based.Following the introductory lecture you will complete a series a of practicals that follow on from one another, so that ultimately you will have generated your own transgenic plant material. By the very nature of the work many of the practicals take place in the Plant Growth Suite ie a research environment. The work is continually assessed: There is no examination associated with this module. This puts considerable emphasis on attendance and performance in the practicals.A report on the work is required at the end of the module. Continual assessment is not the easy option and a depth of scientific understanding and knowledge, within the subject area, is expected.The module is designed to be interesting, enjoyable and relief from other 'PowerPoint' centric modules.
ObjectivesThis module provides a practical guide to modern crop improvement and includes the essential skills of plant tissue culture including:
- Aseptic Tissue Culture Technique;
- Plant Transformation;
- Bacterial Transformat;ion
- generate your own transgenic plant material.
On completion of this module students will be able to:
- Understand the practices of modern crop improvement
- Describe the essential skills of plant tissue culture
- Generate you own transgenic plant material.
- Transformation technologies: Recap of the basic principles associated with transformation process.
- Practical application, with examples, of Agrobacterium mediated tissue culture techniques
- Biolistic transformation
- Examples of transgenic world crops.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||85.00|
|Total Contact hours||15.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private study100 hours devoted to carrying out the practical based module and the writing of the report.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- Student attendance at lectures and practicals will be monitored in line with standard faculty practice.
- Completion of coursework
- Engagement with VLE resources.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Practical Report||to include continual assessment||75.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 25/04/2019
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD