2019/20 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
BMSC3149 Drug Development: Pre-Clinical to Practice
10 creditsClass Size: 135
Module manager: Dr Alasdair Pickles
Taught: Semester 1 View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
This module is not approved as a discovery module
ObjectivesThe aim of this module is to provide an overview of the drug discovery and development process, from inception to market, and to study in detail the preclinical and clinical development stages for testing drug efficacy and toxicity. Students will also acquire knowledge of the legal and regulatory aspects associated with the protection and marketing of a drug.
On completion of this module students will have knowledge of and be able to understand:
- the drug discovery and development process from inception to market.
- the many development stages for testing drug efficacy and toxicity (i.e. do they work and are they safe to use).
- the regulatory and legal aspects of protecting a drug once it is on the market.
- Overview of the process of Drug Discovery and Development
- Toxicological screening
- Efficacy testing in animal models
- Drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics
- Safety testing in humans
- Efficacy testing in humans
- Future medications
- Patent Law
- Experimental medicine
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||85.00|
|Total Contact hours||15.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private study40 hours - preparation for lectures and completion of lecture notes
45 hours - directed reading.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackStudent attendance at lectures will be monitored in line with standard faculty practice.
At level 3, and in light of the extensive reading around the topics that is required, continuous assessment will not be appropriate for most modules.
Methods of assessment
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||2 hr||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 17/04/2019
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD