2019/20 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
COMM2870 Motion Graphics
20 creditsClass Size: 35
Module manager: Mr John Edmonds
Taught: Semester 2 View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
Pre-requisite qualificationsApproved progression from Level 1 – Film, Photography and Media orDigital Media (or approved credit transfer equivalent).
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Module summaryTo provide students with intermediate practical skills in motion graphics for film and television including animation and visual effects.
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students will be able to:-
- Construct motion graphic sequences for film and television production using appropriate software;
- Understand and demonstrate coherent subject knowledge and appreciate professional design constraints for film and television production;
- Comment on specific aspects of recent research and development in the industry;
- Review and critically analyse their production work against industry practitioners;
- To time manage and schedule their project(s) by a specified deadline.
On completion of this module, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of motion graphics industry.
2. Contextualise and situate a motion graphic sequence.
3. Critically engage with photographic and video imagery using analytical strategies.
4. Demonstrate knowledge of the design principles necessary for motion graphics.
5. Produce a motion graphic sequence to an intermediate level.
The course focuses on three key areas:
- Introduction of the software - Adobe After Effects.
- Introducing Graphic Design considerations for Film & TV including typography and layout, plus the psychology of colour in design.
- Planning and Preparation for Special Effects - Production and Output.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||166.00|
|Total Contact hours||34.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||200.00|
Private studyResearch for project - approx hours 15
Research operation of software - approx hours 40
Individual production work - approx hours 100
Write up of project including BLOG. - approx hours 11
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackWeekly formative feedback during practical sessions via the practical portfolio.
Project Concept (submitted by week 4; Feedback shortly after);
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Practical||3 Minute Motion Graphic Project.||50.00|
|Assignment||Creative Concept Outline 1 x 1,000 - 1,250 words||25.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 13/11/2018 09:25:44
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD