2019/20 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
EDUC5901M Learning and Teaching in TESOL
30 creditsClass Size: 50
Module manager: Dr Laura Grassick
Taught: Semester 1 View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
Pre-requisite qualificationsStudents for whom English is not a first language will need to have an overall score on IELTS of 6.5 with no paper below 6.0 or equivalent.
This module is approved as an Elective
Module summaryThis module looks at some of the ways in which teachers of English to Speakers of other languages teach the skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
ObjectivesBy the end of this module, students should be able to:
1. understand and analyse approaches to learning languages;
2. describe and analyse approaches to the teaching of language skills to English to speakers of other languages;
3. discuss and assess the principles underlying procedures for teaching speaking, listening, reading and writing, with particular reference to language focus and language development;
4. apply relevant principles to the description and evaluation of language learning tasks through learners' performance;
5. critically discuss relevant research literature.
By the end of the module, students will have a knowledge of:
1. theories of language learning;
2. teaching and learning speaking in a second language;
3. teaching and learning listening in a second language;
4. teaching and learning writing in a second language;
5. teaching and learning reading in a second language;
6. how to analyse their own teaching and learning context;
7. how to identify relevant literature for developing teaching and learning in a particular context;
8. how to evaluate materials for the teaching and learning of language skills in a second language.
- critical reading and thinking;
- working in groups;
- working individually;
- evaluating of analytical frameworks;
- applying analytical frameworks;
- analysing and evaluating their own teaching context.
The content of this module includes:
1. understanding theories of language learning;
2. understanding and teaching speaking in a second language;
3. understanding and teaching listening in a second language;
4. understanding and teaching reading in a second language;
5. understanding and teaching writing in a second language;
6. critically evaluating materials for the teaching of language skills in a second language;
7. reflecting on and critically evaluating experiences of teaching language skills.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Independent online learning hours||12.00|
|Private study hours||263.50|
|Total Contact hours||24.50|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||300.00|
Private study- Background reading 10 hours per week = 120 hours.
- Material analysis 3 hours per week = 36 hours.
- 50.75 hours per assignment = 101.5 hours.
- Independent online learning consists of reading and contributing to the discussion board in the VLE = 12 hours.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackStudent progress will be monitored by:
- participation in seminars;
- participation in the on-line discussion board;
- evaluation of the two 3,000 words assignments;
- performance in the tutorial which is focused around an assignment draft;
- evaluation of outlines or drafts for assignments.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Assignment||2 x 3,000 word assignment||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Students will be assessed on the basis of two three thousand word assignnments or equivalent, submitted in December and January.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 12/12/2018 10:48:53
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD