2019/20 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
EDUC5903M Learning and Teaching Vocabulary
15 creditsClass Size: 80
Module manager: Dr Yen Dang
Taught: 1 Jan to 31 Mar View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
This module is approved as an Elective
Module summaryThis modules examine what we mean by vocabulary and looks at some of the ways in which teachers can help learners to develop their vocabulary. The module is primarily for people teaching English to speakers of other languages.
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to:
- describe and exemplify recent developments in the study of vocabulary;
- articulate the implications of these developments for language learning and teaching;
- use this knowledge in evaluating the effectiveness of vocabulary learning and teaching in a specific context and propose the areas that need improvement.
- the ability to evaluate critically what is read
- the ability to apply what is read to particular teaching and learning contexts
- the ability to plan a piece of academic writing
- the ability to use ICT in researching language and language testing
This module examines the role of vocabulary in language teaching.
We will investigate what it means to know a word, which words should be learned, and what conditions affect vocabulary learning. We will also look at some approaches to, and techniques for, teaching learning, and testing vocabulary.
You will have the opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills you have developed in the module to the evaluation of designing materials and syllabuses to help people learn vocabulary.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||138.00|
|Total Contact hours||12.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private study- 18 x 6 hours preparation for seminars
- 24 hours assignment preparation.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackStudents will be monitored informally through contributions to class discussions and formally through the assessment procedures.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 04/09/2019
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD