2019/20 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
FOOD5115M Colloid and Dairy Science
10 creditsClass Size: 100
Module manager: Professor Brent Murray
Taught: Semester 2 View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
Pre-requisite qualificationsBSc Food Chemistry or related discipline (or as under co-requisite).
|FOOD5010M||Food Chemistry I|
|FOOD5240M||Food Chemistry II|
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesTo understand the principles and practice of colloid science with particular reference to the stability, structure and texture of dairy-based oil and water systems.
- Terminology and concepts of colloid science; creaming, aggregation, gelation.
- Stabilisation by adsorbed protein; role of emulsifiers and hydrocolloids; colloidal aspects of milk and cream; emulsion and foam formation.
- Fat crystallisation and texture of water-in-oil emulsions; margarine; butter; ice-cream; cream liqueurs.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||75.00|
|Total Contact hours||25.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private study- 36 hours reading for lectures
- 14 hours preparation for seminars
- 25 hour exam preparation.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackThrough attendance at lectures and attendance and contribution to seminars.
Methods of assessment
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||2 hr 00 mins||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 30/04/2019
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD