This module is inactive in the selected year. The information shown below is for the academic year that the module was last running in, prior to the year selected.
2018/19 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
FREN3711 Francophone Voices - Textual and Cultural Analysis
20 creditsClass Size: 24
Module manager: Dr Kamal Salhi
Taught: Semester 2 View Timetable
Year running 2018/19
Pre-requisite qualificationsSuccessful completion of Level 2 or equivalent
Module replacesFrancophone Voices FREN315101
This module is not approved as a discovery module
Module summaryThe course surveys the historical, geographical and sociolinguistic features which characterise the French language in North and West Africa, and analyses their literature (novel and short story). It concentrates on literary and cultural themes. In the lectures the study of culture will be set in the context of the local francophone heritage, and the seminars will focus on the interpretation of selected texts as the students examine the particular qualities of Francophone African culture as influenced by French. Audiovisuals will be used to support the lectures. Students will do a class presentation in French (25% of overall weighting), submit a 1,500-word summary of a novel in French (25%) and take away an examination paper (50%) and answer two questions, in English, chosen from a list of several questions.
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should have:
- an in-depth appreciation of the French influence in North and Sub-Saharan Africa and the diversity of the works of Francophones in three aspects: culture, literature and language.
- acquainted themselves with the particular sensibilities in the context of Francophone African literature.
- develop an understanding of interdisciplinary issues of language, culture, colonialism, identity, feminism, sexuality, etc.
Communication, Organisation, Research, Language, textual and cultural analysis
Students should be able to demonstrate enhanced skills in written and oral French in an academic register
The module begins with an overview of the historical background and cultural features which characterise French in North and Sub-Saharan Africa, moving on to the discussion of general critical questions within African Francophone literature.
The course covers literary, linguistic, cultural and social questions. Lectures focus on the study of culture in the context of the local francophone heritage. Through the analysis and interpretation of selected texts, students examine, during the seminars, the particular themes and qualities of the Francophone African literature and culture.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Independent online learning hours||20.00|
|Private study hours||151.83|
|Total Contact hours||28.17|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||200.00|
Private study20 hours seminar preparation
40 hours private reading round the subject
20 hours preparation for presentation
1.50 hours preparation for consultation
60 hours researching and preparing assessment
10 hours textual fieldwork
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackAssessed presentation in class. Group work. Reports on library search and personal and/or group, textual readings.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Presentation||verbal presentation, 20 mins + supporting handout||25.00|
|Critique||critical review of text||25.00|
|In-course Assessment||Take away exam (4 days)||50.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 13/11/2018 09:25:43
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD