2019/20 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
HIST5640M Dissertation (History)
60 creditsClass Size: 14
Module manager: Dr Adam Cathcart
Taught: 1 Oct to 30 Sep View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
This module is not approved as an Elective
Objectives- To acquire knowledge and understanding of a specific historical topic through the use and analysis of primary and secondary materials;
- to synthesise the results of such work and to produce a coherent and extended piece of historical writing.
As a result of this exercise students acquire a knowledge of research methods appropriate to the particular subject they have addressed.
Helps develop the following skills to advanced levels:
- defining a complex problem
- locating and handling appropriate primary source material.
- Self-discipline to work alone on a major self-directed project
- interpretation and analysis of complex documentary-based material.
- researching a topic using methods appropriate to the discipline and subject matter, and
- presenting findings in an extended written report conforming to academic norms.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||595.00|
|Total Contact hours||5.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||600.00|
Private study- Bibliographic research
- Reading and research in primary and secondary source materials
- Preparation and writing-up of findings
= 595 hours.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- One-to-one meetings with supervisor
- Submission of a draft material from the assignment.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Essay or Dissertation||One 15,000 word dissertation to be submitted by the second Monday in September, at the end of 12 months (full-time) or 24 months (part-time).||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
At the end of 12 months if full-time and 24 months if part-time
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 06/09/2018
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD