2019/20 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
MATH3510 Actuarial Mathematics 1
15 creditsClass Size: 120
Module manager: Dr Graham Murphy
Taught: Semester 1 View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
Pre-requisite qualifications(MATH2515 or MATH2530) and MATH2750.
This module is approved as a discovery module
Module summaryIntroduction to actuarial modelling, assurances and annuities with particular emphasis on evaluation of assurances and annuities, and the calculation of premiums and reserves.
ObjectivesSee learning outcomes.
On completion of this module, students should be able to:
- understand the principles of actuarial modelling, survival models and the corresponding formulas and notations, different types of assurance and annuity contracts, and the role of net premiums and reserves;
- evaluate assurance and annuity contracts and calculate net premiums and reserves.
1. Introduction to actuarial modelling
2. Survival models
3. Simple assurances and annuities
4. Evaluation of assurances and annuities
5. Net and gross premiums and reserves
6. Variable benefits and annuities
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||117.00|
|Total Contact hours||33.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private study- Consolidation of course notes and background reading
- Institute and Faculty of Actuaries 'CM1 Actuarial Mathematics 1'
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackWorkshops
Feedback on assignments
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||20.00|
There is no resit available for the coursework component of this module. If the module is failed, the coursework mark will be carried forward and added to the resit exam mark with the same weighting as listed above.
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||3 hr 00 mins||80.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||80.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 05/04/2018
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD