2019/20 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
MODL5009M English for Translators
15 creditsClass Size: 40
Module manager: Anne Buckley
Taught: Semester 1 View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
Pre-requisite qualificationsOpen to students registered on all programmes with translation and/or interpreting whose first language is NOT English
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesThe module aims to:
- develop students' general competence in written English language;
- improve the accuracy and idiomaticity of translation from students' mother tongues;
- increase students' awareness of functional properties of English lexicon, in particular collocations.
- Vocabulary and idiomatic use associated with the 4 basic specialised translation text types (journalistic; administrative; scientific/technical; literary).
- Familiarity with the range of resources available to verify the idiomaticity of translations into English.
- Ability to produce natural and idiomatic expressions in English when translating from the student's native language.
- Ability to distinguish near-synonyms with near native speaker accuracy.
- Examination and improvement of machine-translated texts.
- Study of collocation and vocabulary use based on up-to-date corpora of written English.
- Aspects of grammar known to cause difficulty for non-native speakers of English.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Class tests, exams and assessment||1||2.00||2.00|
|Private study hours||130.00|
|Total Contact hours||20.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyPreparation for seminars (40h), Reading texts (40h), Preparation for test (20h), Preparation for commentary (30h)
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackProgress will be monitored through weekly exercises in revising imperfect translations, with extensive feedback during seminars.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|In-course Assessment||2 hour timed text revision test||40.00|
|Essay or Dissertation||2,000 word commentary||60.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
The commentary will be on the text revision done in the 2 hour timed test.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 27/09/2019
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD