2019/20 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
PHYS5019M Advanced Literature Review
15 creditsClass Size: 40
Module manager: Professor Daniel Marsh
Taught: Semesters 1 & 2 View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
This module is not approved as an Elective
Module summaryStudents will research, evaluate and write a detailed literature review in their project area.
ObjectivesOn completion of this module, students should be able to undertake a detailed review of the research literature and write a comprehensive report.
- Undertake a detailed survey of the literature in an agreed area of Physics.
- Critically analyse and summarise the literature.
- Appreciate the frontiers of knowledge and understanding in these areas.
- Write a summary and critical evaluation of this literature.
- Be familiar with cutting edge research in a chosen area of Physics.
- Know how to research a chosen area in Physics using online resources.
- Know how to structure a detailed literature review.
- Know how to provide a critique of the relevant literature and describe the context of the critical results.
Students will gain knowledge of the literature and online resources in specific areas of Physics.
Students will research the literature surrounding their research project to hone in on the key research to be undertaken.
Online research resources will be employed to find relevant reviews, articles, and preprints.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Independent online learning hours||10.00|
|Private study hours||127.00|
|Total Contact hours||13.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||150.00|
Private studyStudents will use online research tools to undertake a detailed review of the literature. They will select the papers that are relevant to the research topic and provide a critical analysis of the papers. They will condense their review with a summary and conclusions. The analysis will be written up as a substantive review of the literature.
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackWeekly supervision meetings.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Essay||Literature review outline and reference list||10.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 08/03/2019
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD