2019/20 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
TRAN5911M Transport Dissertation
60 creditsClass Size: 150
Module manager: Eleonora Morganti
Taught: 1 Oct to 30 Sep View Timetable
Year running 2019/20
Module replacesTRAN5310MTRAN5330M TRAN5910M TRAN5940M TRAN5930M TRAN5950M
This module is not approved as an Elective
ObjectivesTo develop and apply research and/or design skills in a specialist topic within the transport discipline.
- For research topics these skills will include: review of relevant literature, identification of key issues, development of an experimental method, assembly and analysis of relevant data, logical discussion and conclusions of relevance to practical application.
- For design topics these skills will include: identification of key issues, development of candidate solutions, and assessment of these solutions with relevance to the overarching objectives of transport policy.
- For both types of topic, emphasis will be placed on the development of skills in the effective communication of ideas and concepts in writing and verbally.
Students will be required to undertake a dissertation cognate to their degree programme.
In-depth knowledge of the subject area chosen for the study, to cover the context of the study, previous literature in the field (including previous research), and knowledge of relevant methodologies.
- Selection of topic: either from a list provided or by self-suggestion in consultation with staff
- Work is largely self-directed under supervision from a member of staff
- Submission of Interim Report, for formative feedback
- Preparation and presentation of poster
- Oral examination of progress
- Completion, submission and examination of Final Report of about 15,000 words.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Class tests, exams and assessment||1||0.50||0.50|
|Class tests, exams and assessment||1||1.50||1.50|
|Private study hours||591.00|
|Total Contact hours||9.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||600.00|
Private studySelf-directed study, to include a significant amount of original research investigation as well as review of existing literature on relevant research, steered by regular meetings with a personal supervisor.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- 1,000 word Interim Report: formative feedback provided
- Poster presentation
- Oral Examination
- Individual supervision.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Essay||15,000 word dissertation (Students will be required to submit a 1,000 word interim report in semester two in order to receive formative feedback)||80.00|
|Poster Presentation||Poster Presentation||10.00|
|Oral Presentation||Oral Presentation||10.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
Students will be required to submit a 1,000 word interim report in semester two in order to receive formative feedback.
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 12/12/2018 16:33:10
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD