This module is not currently running in the selected year. The information shown below is for the academic year that the module was last running in, prior to the year selected.
2006/07 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
EAST2020 Chinese Language (2B): Theory and Practice
20 creditsClass Size: 50
Taught: Semester 2 View Timetable
Year running 2006/07
Pre-requisitesEAST2010 or equivalent
ObjectivesTo provide students with the opportunity to improve further their Chinese language skills through practice in the techniques of translating English into Chinese, the study of Chinese films, and the reading and analysis of contemporary Chinese texts.
(1) A systematic study of the techniques of translating English into Chinese with specific areas of focus, e.g.. change of word class, simple vs complex clauses, 'artistic' vs 'specific' styles etc; (2) the viewing and analysis of selected Chinese films, followed by group discussion; (3) the reading of contemporary literary texts selected from the works of Zhao Shuli, Hu Wanchun. Yang Shuo, Ru Zhijuan, Sha Yexin etc.
Lectures (some with audio-visual materials). Practical classes.
Methods of assessment
(1) Three-hour examination at the end of the semester (70%). (2) Oral and aural examinations at the end of the semester (30%).
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 02/05/2007
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD