2020/21 Undergraduate Module Catalogue
BMSC3101 Inherited Disorders
10 creditsClass Size: 140
Module manager: Dr Alasdair Pickles
Taught: Semester 1 View Timetable
Year running 2020/21
|BMSC1212||Introduction to Pharmacology|
This module is not approved as a discovery module
On completion of this module, students should be able to:
- understand current knowledge about inherited disorders of selected receptors, enzymes and channels that are covered in this module;
- understand the general principles involved in the study of inherited disorders;
- be able to use the web-based OMIM database of inherited disorders, together with selected papers from the scientific literature;
- be able to to summarize the available data on selected inherited disorders;
- be able to present summarized data in oral communications and in written summaries.
The syllabus will comprise a general introduction to the study of inherited disorders and the general principles involved in the study of inherited disorders. Inherited disorders of the following receptors, enzymes and channels will be covered in detail:
insulin receptor, vasopressin V2 receptor, thyroid stimulating hormone receptor, factor V, cystathione betasynthase, parkin, CFTR chloride channel, alpha1S calcium channel, EnaC sodium channel, lipoprotein lipase.
Web-based resources will be used for these studies, and each student will present an oral presentation or a written report.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||80.00|
|Total Contact hours||20.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Private studyStudents should note that the following information is for guidance only. The actual time required for the various elements will vary between students.
- 25 hours of self-study per advanced topic (125 hours)
- 45 hours: examination and preparation.
Opportunities for Formative Feedback- Student attendance at lectures and/or practicals will be monitored in line with standard faculty practice.
- Completion of coursework and exam.
- Engagement with VLE resources.
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||65.00|
Normally resits will be assessed by the same methodology as the first attempt, unless otherwise stated
|Exam type||Exam duration||% of formal assessment|
|Standard exam (closed essays, MCQs etc)||1 hr 30 mins||35.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Exams)||35.00|
Reading listThe reading list is available from the Library website
Last updated: 17/04/2019
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD