2021/22 Taught Postgraduate Module Catalogue
SOEE5606M Easter Field Class - Geological Science (MGeol)
10 creditsClass Size: 15
Module manager: Simon Bottrell
Taught: Semester 2 (Jan to Jun) View Timetable
Year running 2021/22
Pre-requisite qualificationsSuccessful completion of Geological Science (MGeol) year 3.
This module is mutually exclusive with
|SOEE5616M||North Sea Reservoir Analogues|
This module is not approved as an Elective
Module summaryAn eight-day field class looking at the Permian/Mesozoic and Quaternary sedimentary sequences of North Yorkshire, with a focus on environmental, economic and engineering geology. The class will run as either residential, a series of one day trips or as an online virtual fieldwork experience, depending upon government and University of Leeds guidelines with respect to fieldwork provision.
On completion of this module students will be able to:
1) deploy accurate standard techniques of analysis and enquiry, integrating theoretical knowledge and field-based data collection, to solve advanced fieldwork problems on a conceptual level;
2) integrate and critically evaluate data gathered during fieldwork to synthesise geological models of the local regional geology;
3) critically assess aspects of recent research relevant to an aspect of the field class and develop a proposal for further research work;
4) conform to professional boundaries and norms and have a professional understanding of the practical, economic, and ethical implications of the utilisation of geological resources at professional industry standard.
This fieldtrip will not incur a cost in 2020-21 as it is effectively a core module on your programme of study.
- Geological observations/syntheses in the field.
- Preparatory lecture(s) and self-study of background materials.
|Delivery type||Number||Length hours||Student hours|
|Private study hours||29.00|
|Total Contact hours||71.00|
|Total hours (100hr per 10 credits)||100.00|
Opportunities for Formative FeedbackFieldwork supervision and feedback on field notebook.
1 x formative presentation
Methods of assessment
|Assessment type||Notes||% of formal assessment|
|Essay||3,000 word extended essay||100.00|
|Total percentage (Assessment Coursework)||100.00|
As main assessment – 3000 word extended essay.
Reading listThere is no reading list for this module
Last updated: 30/06/2021 16:25:50
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD