2017/18 Taught Postgraduate Programme Catalogue
MA Psychotherapy and Counselling
|Programme code:||MA-PSY-C08||UCAS code:|
|Duration:||36 Months||Method of Attendance:||Part Time|
|Programme manager:||Gillian Proctor||Contact address:||G.M.Proctor@leeds.ac.uk|
Total credits: 180
1 Normally a degree in any subject, usually a minimum of 2.1 or above.
2. A level of counselling skill consistent with preparedness to undertake professional training (normally acquired through previous counselling skills courses, e.g. certificate in counselling or equivalent), to be assessed at interview.
3. English Language at GCSE grade C or equivalent, or IELTS overall score 7.
4. Two satisfactory references; one of which must normally be an academic reference.
5. Insight into psychotherapy and counselling, to be assessed via interview.
6. A level of maturity associated with personal reflection on a variety of adult and childhood experiences and developed interpersonal skills, to be assessed via interview.
7. Satisfactory police and health clearance.
The University of Leeds APL and APEL procedures may apply to exceptional applicants who do not meet the criteria.
School/Unit responsible for the parenting of students and programme:
School of Healthcare
Examination board through which the programme will be considered:
School Board of Examiners
Relevant QAA Subject Benchmark Groups:
It is important to retain both psychotherapy and counselling in the programme title as both terms are widely used in combination within the profession. The MA Psychotherapy & Counselling is accredited by the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy. On successful completion, graduates may join the BACP voluntary assured register of Counsellors/Psychotherapists.
The team includes very experienced counsellor / psychotherapists, with senior levels of registration in one or more fields and a sound track record of scholarly and research activity. The team have extensive clinical and supervision experience in a wide variety of settings and are able to draw on this experience in learning and teaching. In addition, colleagues from elsewhere in the School contribute to certain aspects of teaching.
The first 2 years of the programme, after which students may exit with a Postgraduate Diploma, consist of at least 400 hours of tutor contact, 70 hours of personal therapy and 100 hours of clinically supervised practice which is determined by the registering body. Students undertaking the MA complete a third year, have an additional 50 hours of tutor contact and will be expected to remain in practice.
There will be equal value placed on theory and practice, with a strong emphasis on informal learning through personal therapy and clinical supervision provided outside of the university but required as part of the programme.
Year1 - View timetable
Candidates will be required to study the following compulsory modules:
|HECS5182M||Counselling and Psychotherapy Theories||15 credits||1 Sept to 31 Jan (adv yr), Semester 1|
|HECS5183M||Becoming a Reflective Practitioner 1a||15 credits||Semester 1|
|HECS5184M||Theories of Human Intersubjective Development||15 credits||Semester 2|
|HECS5185M||Becoming a Reflective Practitioner 1b||15 credits||Semester 2|
Year2 - View timetable
|HECS5186M||Ethical and Cultural Issues for Psychotherapeutic Counselling||15 credits||Semester 1|
|HECS5187M||Becoming a Reflective Practitioner 2a||15 credits||Semester 1|
|HECS5188M||Integration of Psychotherapeutic Theory, Practice and Intersubjectivity||15 credits||Semester 2|
|HECS5189M||Becoming a Reflective Practitioner 2b||15 credits||Semester 2|
|IOFN5004M||Research Methods||15 credits||1 Sept to 31 Jan (adv yr), Semester 2, 01 Oct to 31 Dec|
Year3 - View timetable
|HECS5152M||Dissertation||45 credits||1 Sept to 30 Jun (adv yr), 1 Sept to 30 Sept, 1 Jun to 30 Jun|
Last updated: 15/01/2018
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.SPT8