2019/20 Taught Postgraduate Programme Catalogue
MA in International Education Leadership and Policy (Part-Time)
|Programme code:||MA-ED/IELP-P||UCAS code:|
|Duration:||24 Months||Method of Attendance:||Part Time|
|Programme manager:||Dr Michael Wilson||Contact address:||M.D.Wilson@education.leeds.ac.uk|
Total credits: 180
Normally an appropriate first degree
Normally, two years' experience in the field of education, other appropriate experience will be considered on an individual basis.
English Language in line with School of Education requirements, IELTS 6.5 or above with no score below 6, or TOEFL equivalent.
School/Unit responsible for the parenting of students and programme:
Examination board through which the programme will be considered:
School of Education
Relevant QAA Subject Benchmark Groups:
There are none specifically listed for Education
The programme will:
1. Replace the existing MA in International Educational Management (IEM) in response to the School's most recent revision strategy. It will also provide an opportunity to update and revise the current MA (IEM) course to make it distinctive. The title of the programme will be changed to MA in International Education Leadership & Policy (IELP), reflecting a global shift in discourse from 'management' to 'leadership' and a recognition of the fundamental importance of the educational policy framework in which educational leaders operate.
2. Cohere well with the School's Centre for Policy Studies in Education (CPSE), which will strengthen the links between research and the MA programme.
3. Satisfy two broad expectations/needs of participants: (a) leadership and management skills that facilitate promotion and critical reflection; (b) a firm foundation for doctoral study.
4. Offer a broad foundation in both contemporary global educational policy challenges and leadership skills required to meet these challenges that will appeal to a wide cohort of students, so that the two core modules will also be optional modules for following other programmes including the MA (General), the MA (Childhood Studies) and the MA (Global Development) in POLIS. It will thereby: (a) strengthen the sustainability of the programme and (b) involve a larger number of staff contributors from within the School of Education to enrich the student experience.
5. Offer opportunities for students to take optional modules in POLIS relating to education and/or development
6. Retain the best of the 'unique selling position' of the MA (IEM), including local school visits: the annual visit to London to meet the local MP, tour the Houses of Parliament and visit the DfE, BIS and TUC to engage in discussion with educational policy makers.
Year1 - View timetable
|EDUC5042M||Contemporary Global Challenges in Education Policy and Leadership Practice||30 credits||Semester 1|
|EDUC5043M||Critical Perspectives on Leadership Theory and Practice||30 credits||Semester 2|
Year2 - View timetable
Candidates will be required to study and pass the following compulsory module:
|EDUC5430M||Dissertation||60 credits||1 Oct to 30 Sep (12mth)|
Candidates will be required to study 60 credits and pass at least 30 from the following optional modules:
|EDUC5034M||Global Learning in UK Primary Schools||30 credits||Semester 2|
|EDUC5039M||Creative Inquiry, Communication and Learning||30 credits||Semester 2|
|EDUC5053M||Directed Study in Education 1||30 credits||Semester 2, Semester 1|
|EDUC5060M||Getting Started: Research Questions and Approaches in Education||15 credits||Semester 1, 1 Nov to 31 Dec, 1 Jan to 31 Mar, 1 Mar to 31 May, 01 Oct to 30 Nov|
|EDUC5061M||Philosophical underpinning of educational research||15 credits||Semester 1|
|EDUC5062M||Qualitative data: processes of collection, interpretation and analysis||15 credits||Semester 2|
|EDUC5063M||Introduction to quantitative data analysis||15 credits||Semester 2, 1 Nov to 31 Dec|
|EDUC5610M||Special Educational Needs: Inclusive Approaches||30 credits||Semester 1|
|EDUC5811M||Developmental Disorders I: Dyslexia and Developmental Coordination Disorder||30 credits||Semester 1|
|EDUC5812M||Developmental Disorders II: Attention Deficit Disorder and Autistic Spectrum Disorder||30 credits||Semester 2|
|PIED5235M||Education in Development||30 credits||Semester 1|
|PIED5255M||Gender, Globalisation and Development||30 credits||Semester 1|
|PIED5256M||Global Inequalities and Development||30 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
|PIED5626M||Global Justice||30 credits||Semester 2|
|PIED5764M||Development Management Techniques||15 credits||Not running in 201920|
Year - View timetable
Last updated: 30/04/2019
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD