2019/20 Taught Postgraduate Programme Catalogue
MA TESOL Studies (Part-Time)
|Programme code:||MA-TSL/S-PT||UCAS code:|
|Duration:||24 Months||Method of Attendance:||Part Time|
|Programme manager:||Dr Gary Chambers||Contact address:||G.N.Chambers@education.leeds.ac.uk|
Total credits: 180
-Relevant first degree;
-Non-native speakers of English will be required to obtain proof of proficiency in English Language. You will need to gain:
IELTS overall score of 7.0 with nothing less than 6.0; or, TOEFL Paper version 600; or, TOEFL IBt 100; or, Pearson Test of English Academic 68 overall; or, An equivalent qualification agreed with Central Student Admissions, University of Leeds.
On this programme previous experience of teaching is not a requirement, although some is desirable.
School/Unit responsible for the parenting of students and programme:
The School of Education
Examination board through which the programme will be considered:
The School of Education
The course is designed to meet the needs of students wishing to pursue a career in the teaching of English to speakers of other languages (TESOL). Participants may have some limited experience (less than 2 years) as a teacher or tutor of English or may have just graduated in a subject related to Education, English or other languages.
The overall aim of the programme is to develop participants' capacity to make informed and appropriate decisions as teachers of English in a particular educational context.
- The first part of the programme offers a grounding in how languages are learned, in analysis of English language, and in TESOL methodology.
- In the second semester one further core module aims to develop students' essential teaching skills, though observing and practicing teaching and reflecting on the experience; at the same time they will also be able to take optional modules in practical aspects of TESOL such as teaching younger learners, analysing and adapting learning materials, using ICT, and assessing pupils.
- The final part of the programme - the portfolio - offers students an opportunity to investigate a chosen aspect of TESOL in more depth through a small-scale research project. Throughout the course students will be expected to expand their awareness of the field through extensive reading and discussion, both online and face-to-face.
By the end of this programme students should be able to:
- understand and critically evaluate theories of language, learning and teaching;
- plan, carry out and evaluate TESOL professional practices appropriate to a particular context;
- carry out a small-scale research investigation into an aspect of TESOL relevant to their personal development;
- continue to develop as TESOL professionals through reflection on their practice.
Year1 - View timetable
Candidates are required to study and pass the following compulsory modules:
|EDUC5932M||Analysing Language Teaching||15 credits||1 Nov to 31 Dec|
|EDUC5933M||Language Teaching Methodology||30 credits||Semester 2|
|EDUC5934M||Analysing Language||15 credits||01 Oct to 30 Nov|
Year2 - View timetable
Candidates will be required to study and pass the following compulsory modules:
|EDUC5904M||Dissertation in MA TESOL programmes and MA TESOL Studies||60 credits||1 Oct to 30 Sep|
|EDUC5931M||Analysing Language Learning||30 credits||Semester 1|
Candidates are required to study 30 credits from the following list of optional modules:
|EDUC5039M||Creative Inquiry, Communication and Learning||30 credits||Semester 2|
|EDUC5256M||Technology Enhanced Language Learning||30 credits||Semester 2|
|EDUC5265M||Digital Education in Practice||30 credits||Semester 2|
|EDUC5267M||Designing Digital Education||30 credits||Semester 2|
|EDUC5903M||Learning and Teaching Vocabulary||15 credits||1 Jan to 31 Mar|
|EDUC5912M||Grammar, Learning and Teaching||15 credits||1 Mar to 31 May|
|EDUC5913M||Teaching Academic English||15 credits||1 Jan to 31 Mar|
|EDUC5914M||Corpus Linguistics in the Classroom||15 credits||Semester 2|
|EDUC5916M||Tasks and Materials for TESOL||15 credits||1 Jan to 31 Mar|
|EDUC5927M||Assessing Language Learning||15 credits||1 Mar to 31 May|
|EDUC5981M||Teaching Languages to Young Learners||30 credits||Semester 2|
Last updated: 30/04/2019
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD