2019/20 Taught Postgraduate Programme Catalogue
MSc Medical Imaging
|Programme code:||MSC-MEDI-FT||UCAS code:|
|Duration:||12 Months||Method of Attendance:||Full Time|
|Programme manager:||Mr A Davies||Contact address:||firstname.lastname@example.org|
Total credits: 180
- 2(ii) honours degree in a Biological/Physical Science, or Radiography or degree in Medicine or Dentistry or equivalent such as non-graduates who have successfully completed three years of a UK medical degree or international equivalent and wish to take the Medical Imaging course as an intercalated programme.
- GCSE Science and Maths (double award or equivalent) grades A-C are required
- English language for non-native English speakers: you will need to gain a TOEFL score (internet-based test) of at least 100 overall with at least 22 in listening and reading, 24 in speaking and 23 in writing; or a minimum IELTS (Academic) score of 7.0 with at least 6.5 in all components; or a PTE (Academic) score of 68 with at least 64 in all components.
School/Unit responsible for the parenting of students and programme:
Specialist Scientific Education Department, School of Medicine
Examination board through which the programme will be considered:
School of Medicine Post Graduate Examinations Committee
This programme is designed for recent graduates preparing for a career in medical imaging, professionals already working in the field, and medical students wishing to intercalate to develop medical imaging skills to support their career.
Medical Imaging is an essential component of modern medicine, playing a key role in the diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of disease. The Medical Imaging MSc covers:
- the basic physics involved in the different imaging techniques
- image formation, image interpretation and applications in the field of radiology
Whilst not a clinical skills course, the teaching of the technical aspects of imaging techniques is firmly grounded and in their clinical usage. Many of our lecturers are at the forefront of research in their field and bring insights from emerging imaging techniques.
Year1 - View timetable
Candidates will be required to study the following compulsory modules:
|MEDP5321M||Research Methods||15 credits||Semester 2, Semester 1|
|MEDP5330M||Research Project||60 credits||1 Oct to 30 Sep|
|MEDP5336M||Core Skills in Medical Imaging||15 credits||Semester 1|
Candidates must study at least 30 and up to 75 credits from the following modules.
|MEDP5312M||Magnetic Resonance Imaging||15 credits||Semester 1|
|MEDP5314M||Ultrasound Imaging||15 credits||Semester 2|
|MEDP5317M||Radionuclide Imaging||15 credits||Semester 2|
|MEDP5331M||Medical X-ray Imaging|
Pre-requisite for: MEDP5332M
|15 credits||Semester 1|
|MEDP5332M||X-ray Computed Tomography||15 credits||Semester 2|
Candidates will be required to study up to 60 credits from the following optional modules.
|ARCS5208M||Forensic Imaging||15 credits||Semester 1|
|ARCS5209M||Paediatric Radiography||15 credits||Semester 1|
|ARCS5261M||Principles for Medical Imaging Interpretation||15 credits||Semester 2|
|MEDP5333M||Computer Programming with MATLAB||15 credits||Semester 2|
To be awarded the MSc Medical Imaging students must study at least 180 credits and pass at least 150 credits, including 90 credits from MEDP5336M, MEDP5321M and MEDP5330M, and at least 30 credits from MEDP5312M, MEDP5314M, MEDP5317M, MEDP5331M and MEDP5332M.
Last updated: 15/08/2019
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD