2020/21 Undergraduate Programme Catalogue
|Programme code:||BS-GEOG||UCAS code:||F800|
|Duration:||3 Years||Method of Attendance:||Full Time|
|Programme manager:||Dr Julie Peacock||Contact address:||email@example.com|
Part Time students will take the same array of compulsory, optional and elective modules as Full Time students. The order in which they are studied will be by agreement between the student, the School of Geography and the parent department.
Total credits: 365
AAB preferably including Geography, and excluding General Studies.
School/Unit responsible for the parenting of students and programme:
School of Geography
Examination board through which the programme will be considered:
School of Geography
Relevant QAA Subject Benchmark Groups:
Professional Body Offering Accreditation:
Royal Geographical Society
The distinctiveness of the BSc Geography programme is that it will allow students to:
1. investigate and to inter-relate core components of the earth surface system, at present and in the immediate past;
2. explore, to analyse and to synthesise the complex and reciprocal relationships between the physical components of the earth, the environment, landscape and human society;
3. understand, to explain and to challenge the implications of (1) and (2) for both policy and practice;
4. develop specific skills in relation to data acquisition, analysis and interpretation in relation to geography in general and physical/environmental geography in particular;
5. develop transferable skills in relation to Information Technology and numeracy; fieldwork; laboratory methods; communication and teamwork; critical analysis; creative thinking; and writing; and
6. prepare students for; life-long learning, study and enquiry; for future careers; and for disseminating the value of a geography education to the wider world.
Year1 - View timetable
|GEOG1000||Planet Under Threat||20 credits||Semester 1|
|GEOG1040||Dynamic Landscapes||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
|GEOG1045||Living Planet||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
|GEOG1055||Environmental Change: Past and Future||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
|GEOG1081||Data analysis and physical geography tutorials||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
- Candidates should study between 0 and 20 credits worth of discovery modules (0 credits if they have taken GEOG1550, 20 credits if they have not).
Year2 - View timetable
Candidates will be required to study the following compulsory modules:
|GEOG2012||The Dynamic Environment of the UK||10 credits||Semester 2|
|GEOG2015||Career Skills in Geography||10 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
|GEOG2095||Skills for Physical Geographers||40 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
Candidates will be required to study 40-60 credits from the following lists of optional Geography modules:
BSc Geography candidates should take at least 40 credits from the following list:
|GEOG2060||Living within limits: natural resource management for sustainable development||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
|GEOG2080||Earth Surface Processes||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
|GEOG2085||Ecosystems: process, pattern, and change||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
|GEOG2090||Climate Systems||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
Students can take up to 20 credits of the following optional modules.
Note: you must have taken some BA Geography modules at level 1 in order to take this level 2 BA Geography module.
|GEOG2055||Citizenship and Identity: Comparative Perspectives||20 credits||Semester 1|
Candidates may take up to 20 credits of discovery modules.
Discovery modules may be modules from other departments or human geography.
Year3 - View timetable
Candidates will be required to study the following compulsory module:
|GEOG3605||Physical Geography Dissertation||40 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
- Candidates will be required to study 60-80 credits from the following optional modules.
-please note that GEOG3535 and GEOG3510 are mutually exclusive and cannot be taken together.
|GEOG3064||Field Research Project||20 credits||Semester 2|
|GEOG3065||Water Science & Management||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
|GEOG3121||Creating Alternative Futures||20 credits||Semester 1|
|GEOG3180||Management of Wilderness and Global Ecosystems||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
|GEOG3510||Professional Development Project||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
|GEOG3535||School and Educational Placements||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
|GEOG3669||The Cryosphere||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
|GEOG3690||Tropical forests and sustainable development||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2|
Candidates may study up to 20 credits of discovery modules.
Last updated: 18/09/2020 11:08:50
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD