2020/21 Taught Postgraduate Programme Catalogue
MA Biomedical and Health Care Ethics (Online)
|Programme code:||MA-B&HCE-FT||UCAS code:|
|Duration:||12 Months||Method of Attendance:||Full Time|
|Programme manager:||Dr Megan Kime||Contact address:||email@example.com|
Total credits: 180
Candidates should normally be graduates or holders of an equivalent qualification. Where a candidate is not a graduate, relevant professional experience is taken into account. The key attributes sought are a willingness and ability to think through problems in a reasoned and independent way.
School/Unit responsible for the parenting of students and programme:
Inter-Disciplinary Ethics Applied (IDEA)
Examination board through which the programme will be considered:
IDEA Examination Board
The programme will:
- Enable health care professionals world-wide to complete a rigorous academically-informed postgraduate degree in philosophical medical ethics which will have relevance to their professional practice.
- Be available exclusively to online distance learners, using specially developed teaching materials. Teaching content and activities will be available via the University VLE. There will be no requirement to be present on campus at any point during the programme. Students will interact with each other and with tutors via the VLE discussion boards and in webinar sessions. Personal tutoring and dissertation supervision will take place via telephone or Skype.
- Give students the opportunity to draw heavily on their experiences in the workplace and their wider professional life. Students will be encouraged to discuss their professional experiences and will have opportunities to apply their learning to their practice.
- Provide an opportunity for health care professionals from a range of different backgrounds to share their experiences and discuss cultural differences in health care practice, and associated ethical challenges.
Year1 - View timetable
Candidates will be required to study the following compulsory modules:
|IDEA5210M||Introduction to Ethics: Reasons, Motivation, Obligations and Happiness||15 credits||1 Sep to 30 Nov|
|IDEA5308M||Health Care Ethics: Dissertation||60 credits||1 Nov to 30 Sep|
|IDEA5322M||Ethical Issues at the Beginning of Life (Online)||15 credits||1 Nov to 31 Jan|
|IDEA5333M||Ethical Issues at the End of Life (Online)||15 credits||1 Jan to 28 Feb|
|IDEA5344M||Conscience, Codes and Professional Issues (Online)||15 credits||1 Apr to 30 June|
|IDEA5355M||Autonomy, Rationality, and Psychiatric Issues (Online)||15 credits||1 Feb to 30 Apr|
|IDEA5366M||Distributive Justice and Scarce Medical Resources (Online)||15 credits||1 May to 31 July|
|IDEA5377M||Current Developments in Health Care Ethics (Online)||30 credits||1 Oct to 31 Jan|
Last updated: 30/06/2020 18:55:05
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD