2021/22 Undergraduate Programme Catalogue
BSc Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy
|Programme code:||BS-DENT/H&T||UCAS code:||A900|
|Duration:||3 Years||Method of Attendance:||Full Time|
|Programme manager:||Miss Leean Morrow||Contact address:||email@example.com|
GCSEs: minimum of 6 GCSEs all at grade C and above to including Chemistry, Biology (or dual science), English and Maths.
A Levels (A2): 3 A-Levels at Grade ABB must include Biology.
Equivalents: to be confirmed
School/Unit responsible for the parenting of students and programme:
Examination board through which the programme will be considered:
The School of Dentistry's Assessment and Standards Board, Assessment Panels, School Examination Boards and Progression and Awards Board.
Relevant QAA Subject Benchmark Groups:
Benchmark statement: Health Care Programmes/Dental Care Professions: Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy
The programme will:
The proposed new programme will be distinctive in that it will include very early clinical contact and a large number ofuniquely shared integrated modules with the Dental Surgery students programme within the first year. This theme of collaborative delivery of teaching will continue for aspects of teaching within the second and third year of the programme fostering development of the dental team. There will be the opportunity to carry out clinical treatment and oral health promotion within the community setting (outreach clinics, schools etc.). It will retain the option to exit with a GDC registerable Dental Hygiene qualification at the end of year 2 for those students unable to complete the full 3 years, which is rarely offered by other programmes within the UK. It will provide extensive student support throughout the course via the dedicated educational Student Support Team and the weekly student ‘drop in ‘sessions offered in the School of Dentistry.
The BSc programme will provide opportunities for students to develop and demonstrate knowledge and understanding, skills, qualities and other attributes. The Programme Learning Outcomes are derived from the General Dental Council’s requirements set out in the publication ‘Preparing for Practice’ (2015), which establishes seven overarching outcomes which must be demonstrated by the BSc programme. These overarching outcomes form the key principles of effective and professional practice that run through four main domains, namely:
• Management and Leadership
Upon graduation, students will be able to demonstrate the following programme learning outcomes:
1. Practise safely and effectively, making the high quality long term care of patients the first concern.
2. Recognise the role and responsibility of being a registrant of the GDC and demonstrate continuing professionalism throughout their education, training and practice in accordance with GDC guidance.
3. Demonstrate effective clinical decision making.
4. Describe the principles of good research, how to access research and interpret it for use as part of an evidence-based approach to practice.
5. Apply an evidence-based approach to learning, practice, clinical judgment, decision-making and utilising thinking and problem-solving skills.
6. Accurately assess their own capabilities and limitations, demonstrating reflective practice, in the interest of high quality patient care and act within these boundaries.
7. Recognise the importance of lifelong learning and apply it to practice.
Year1 - View timetable
Certificate in Dental Health Education
|DSUR1127||Health and Health Promotion||20 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|DSUR1128||Introduction to the Oral Environment||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
|DSUR1130||Anxiety and Pain Management||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
|DSUR1146||Developing Clinical Practice 1||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
|DSUR1230||Oral Diseases, Defence and Repair||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
|DSUR1250||Personal and Professional Development 1||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
Year2 - View timetable
Diploma in Dental Hygiene
|DSUR2000||Applied Dental Hygiene||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
|DSUR2010||Clinical Skills||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
|DSUR2118||Personal and Professional Development 2||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
|DSUR2146||Developing Clinical Practice 2||60 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
Year3 - View timetable
BSc (Hons) Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy
|DSUR3000||Applied Dental Therapy||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
|DSUR3110||World of Work and the Dental Team||10 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
|DSUR3130||Final Year Research Project||30 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
|DSUR3146||Developing Clinical Practice 3||60 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
Last updated: 30/06/2021 16:11:31
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD