2021/22 Taught Postgraduate Programme Catalogue
|Programme code:||MSC-BIOL/BS||UCAS code:|
|Duration:||12 Months||Method of Attendance:||Full Time|
|Programme manager:||Professor Alison Baker||Contact address:||email@example.com|
Total credits: 180
A bachelor degree with 2:1 (hons) in a subject that has covered the cellular and molecular basis of life such as: Genetics, Microbiology, Biochemistry.
- IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in in any component or equivalent qualification (see website).
School/Unit responsible for the parenting of students and programme:
School of Molecular and Cellular Biology
Examination board through which the programme will be considered:
Masters Bioscience Examination Board
At the end of the programme students should:
- have gained a broad understanding of the Biosciences
- have received a solid training and personal development experience in genetic and transferable skills and attitudes
- have an integrated and critical understanding of research principles and methodologies in the biosciences
- have developed critical skills, both qualitative and quantitative, in the interpretation of data
- have received training in a range of practical molecular and cellular laboratory skills that are of broad relevance to research in the biosciences
- have put these practical, data analysis and writing skills into practice through undertaking a supervised research project that reflects their research interest.
The MSc Bioscience programme provides research training for students who wish to develop a broad scientific base from which to build their future careers. The programme consists of 55 credits of compulsory core research training modules designed to equip students with the expertise necessary to work at the cutting edge of a modern bioscience sector - including research planning exercises, methodologies underpinning modern bioscience and an extended practical project intended to give the students experience with the techniques used in molecular biology.
Added to this is an independent research project (85 credits) and specialist taught modules selected from a wide range of areas including molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, plant biology, human genetics, microbiology and biotechnology. There is individual planning of the route that each student wishes to adopt when they start the course, with students being guided in their choice of options by the Programme Manager.
Year1 - View timetable
Candidates will be required to study 180 credits.
Candidates will be required to study the following compulsory modules: [140 credits]
|BIOL5172M||Practical Bioinformatics||10 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|BIOL5294M||MSc Bioscience Research Project Proposal|
Pre-requisite for: BIOL5392M
|5 credits||Semester 2 (Jan to Jun), 1 May to 31 July|
|BIOL5371M||Research Planning and Scientific Communication||10 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|BIOL5372M||Advanced Biomolecular Technologies||20 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
|BIOL5373M||Protein Engineering Laboratory Project||15 credits||Semesters 1 & 2 (Sep to Jun)|
|BIOL5392M||Bioscience MSc Research Project||80 credits||1 Apr to 31 Aug|
Students may be directed to take BIOL5312M or BIOL5178M instead of BIOL5373M where appropriate and where material has been covered within undergraduate programmes (mainly University of Leeds graduates from the School of Molecular and Cellular Biology).
Candidates will be required to study a minimum of 40 and a maximum of 45 credits from the following optional modules:
|BIOL5112M||Bioimaging||10 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|BIOL5146M||Advanced Immunology||10 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|BIOL5152M||Topics in Plant Science||10 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|BIOL5171M||Infectious & Non-infectious Diseases||10 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|BIOL5178M||High-Throughput Technologies||15 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|BIOL5251M||Plant Biotechnology||10 credits||Semester 2 (Jan to Jun)|
|BIOL5276M||Medical Diagnostics||10 credits||Semester 2 (Jan to Jun)|
|BIOL5282M||Crop Science & Sustainable Agriculture||10 credits||Semester 2 (Jan to Jun)|
|BIOL5296M||Treatment of Infectious Disease and Cancer||10 credits||Semester 2 (Jan to Jun)|
Last updated: 27/09/2021 16:33:41
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD