2021/22 Taught Postgraduate Programme Catalogue
MSc Actuarial Finance
|Programme code:||MSC-BS/ACTF||UCAS code:|
|Duration:||12 Months||Method of Attendance:||Full Time|
|Programme manager:||Dr Alan Duboisee de Ricquebourg||Contact address:||A.J.DuboiseeDeRicquebourg@lubs.leeds.ac.uk|
Total credits: 180
- Upper second class or first class bachelor degree or international equivalent in a relevant subject. For example, mathematics, statistics, economics or finance. Or the Graduate Diploma in Actuarial/Financial Mathematics offered by the School of Maths (2:1 or higher, i.e. an average mark of 60% or higher).
- A background in finance or economics is desirable but not essential.
- Must have a strong grounding in quantitative subjects with high scores in quantitative modules.
- Work experience is desirable but not essential.
- Applicants whose first language is not English will need to attain a well balanced IELTS overall test score of 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in writing or equivalent eg TOEFL.
School/Unit responsible for the parenting of students and programme:
Leeds University Business School
Examination board through which the programme will be considered:
LUBS PG Board of Examiners
Our graduates will:
1. Have an in-depth knowledge of current and emerging theories, techniques and practices within the field of actuarial finance and the ability to apply these theories in a professional setting.
2. Be proactive problem solvers with the ability to formulate solutions to complex actuarial finance scenarios.
3. Have the skills required to critically analyse current empirical research in actuarial finance.
4. Be professional in applying actuarial finance to a broader business context.
5. Have in-depth knowledge of operations in, and the importance of, global financial markets and how it relates to actuarial finance.
6. Be able to communicate findings and recommendations in a clear and cogent manner.
Year1 - View timetable
Candidates are eligible for the award if they pass the 150 credits of modules (including compulsory to pass modules) and achieve an overall average mark of 50 or above, calculated across the 180 credits of modules
Candidates will be required to study the following compulsory modules:
|LUBS5003M||Portfolio Risk Management||15 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|LUBS5004M||Corporate Finance||15 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|LUBS5015M||Professionalism & Ethics for Actuaries||15 credits||01 Jun to 31 Aug|
|LUBS5029M||Projects in Actuarial Finance||30 credits||1 Jun to 31 Jul|
|LUBS5052M||International Investment||15 credits||Semester 2 (Jan to Jun)|
|LUBS5103M||Microeconomics||15 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|LUBS5982M||Financial Reporting and Analysis||15 credits||Semester 2 (Jan to Jun)|
|MATH5315M||Applied Statistics and Probability||15 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|MATH5320M||Discrete Time Finance||15 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|MATH5325M||Models in Actuarial Science||15 credits||Semester 2 (Jan to Jun)|
|MATH5330M||Continuous Time Finance||15 credits||Semester 2 (Jan to Jun)|
Last updated: 01/09/2021 14:39:04
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD