2021/22 Taught Postgraduate Programme Catalogue
MSc Sustainability and Consultancy
|Programme code:||MSC-EV/S&C||UCAS code:|
|Duration:||12 Months||Method of Attendance:||Full Time|
|Programme manager:||Mr Paul Abbott||Contact address:||P.Abbott@leeds.ac.uk|
Total credits: 180
- Candidates should normally be graduates or holders of an equivalent undergraduate qualification. A 2:1 degree classification on first degree will be the normal minimum requirement.
- Relevant business or professional experience is taken into account.
- Candidates from a broad range of disciplines can apply, including natural, environmental, physical, management and social sciences.
School/Unit responsible for the parenting of students and programme:
School of Earth and Environment
Examination board through which the programme will be considered:
School of Earth and Environment
This programme is aimed at graduates and professionals who want to pursue roles as management consultants in the environmental and sustainability arenas. The programme which was the first of its kind in the UK combines courses which provide a foundation of knowledge on sustainability and environmental protection with courses that focus on the tangible professional skills that are used by environmental consultants and project managers.
Specialist courses are delivered by both academic staff and practicing consultants, providing students with exposure to real-life case studies and a good understanding of contemporary management techniques. A key component of this programme is the completion of a consultancy project, which is usually undertaken during a placement with a professional organisation.
At the end of the programme students should have:
- an understanding of the environmental and social pressures and opportunities facing business and public sector organisations
- the skills to use management tools and techniques in the environmental and corporate social responsibility world to address those pressures and exploit those opportunities
- a good knowledge of the range of policy and regulatory frameworks that provide the context for specific projects
- the skills in business development and project management in the environmental and sustainability arenas
- experience of working in interdisciplinary teams on cases and problems relating to environmental consultancy
- consultancy experience, through the completion of a consultancy project usually within a placement environment.
If a student has not achieved the minimum number of credits for an MSc after their re-sits, they will be awarded either a Postgraduate Diploma or a Postgraduate Certificate dependent on the award criteria for their programme.
To obtain the Masters' (MSc) qualification, candidates must pass 165 credits of level 5 modules and achieve an average mark of 50 across 180 credits. A postgraduate diploma (PGD) can be obtained if 90 credits are passed. A postgraduate certificate (PGC) can be obtained if 60 credits are passed.
Year1 - View timetable
Candidates will be required to study the following compulsory modules:
|SOEE5179M||Sustainability Consultancy Project||90 credits||1 Oct to 30 Sep (12mth)|
|SOEE5192M||Project Management: Developing and Managing Environmental Contracts||15 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|SOEE5226M||Managing and Delivering Sustainability through Projects and Organisations||30 credits||Semester 2 (Jan to Jun)|
Candidates will be requires to study two of the following optional modules:
|SOEE5051M||Business, Environment and Sustainability||15 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|SOEE5231M||The Regulatory and Planning Context for Sustainable Projects||15 credits||Semester 2 (Jan to Jun)|
|SOEE5281M||Introduction to Sustainability||15 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|SOEE5341M||Issues and Cases in Corporate Social Responsibility||15 credits||Semester 2 (Jan to Jun)|
Only one from the three options below can be chosen:
|SOEE5094M||Introduction to Ecological Economics||15 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|SOEE5472M||Environmental Policy and Governance||15 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
|SOEE5540M||Climate Change: Physical Science Basis||15 credits||Semester 1 (Sep to Jan)|
Last updated: 01/09/2021 14:02:11
Browse Other Catalogues
- Undergraduate module catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate module catalogue
- Undergraduate programme catalogue
- Taught Postgraduate programme catalogue
Errors, omissions, failed links etc should be notified to the Catalogue Team.PROD